new grime/dubstep mix - this one is computerised

nomos

Administrator
My first "DJ" mix on a computer. I put this together in Ableton Live using a mix of ripped vinyl and mp3s. (p2p is the new diggin' in the crates, innit?) I don't know the name of the fifth tune. Sounds like Plastic Man. Anyway, I nicked it from that Big Apple mix of his (bad form I know, but the technology encourages cannibalism). I've also thrown in a couple of anachronistic bits for the olders cru. You won't find all the newest white labels here, but I've done some heavy multitrack mashing-up here and there.

Enjoy :)

0:00 - Dizzee "Hoe" (Refix)
0:00 - Plastic Man "Pump Up the Jam"
1:30 - (Nightmares on Wax "I'm For Real")
1:37 - Mark One "Space Hopper"
3:28 - ?lasticman "??"
5:48 - Wiley "Eskiboy"
6:02 - Lady Sovereign "Chi Ching" (Cheque 1 2 vocal and a cappella)
7:39 - Dizzee w/ D Double E "Give U More" (instrumental and vocal)
10:48 - (Nasty Habits "Here Come the Drumz")
11:01 - Vex'd "Pop Pop"
11:15 - Lethal B "Forward Riddim" (Hector Movie Mix)
14:30 - SLT Mob "Saddam"
17:45 - (Flirta D and Swarvo)
17:45 - Imp Batch "Gype"
19:51 - Alter Ego "Rocker" (Plastic Man Remix)
22:08 - Mark One w/ JSD "Stand Up"

<a href="http://www.rhizomatic.org/blog/audio/thisoneiscomputerised.mp3">Download it here</a>

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
autonomicforthepeople said:

paul, this is absolutely superb. very, very impressed. i'm 17 minutes through it and i've picked up loads of little clever things you've done with the mix. i'm doing a "studio" mix in acid at the moment, and i'm seriously going to have to take another look at it now cos this just raises the bar. more please.

oh yeah, and was that a snatch of here come the drumz half way through it or is my mind playing tricks n me? :)

nomos

Administrator
Oh man! Thanks Marc! :D Yeah that's 'Here Come the Drumz' alright. I used a plugin called SupTrigga to chop up the hoover. There's also a lot of EQ mixing going on.

mms

sometimes
Pearsall said:
I'm pretty sure the unknown track is DJ Oddz 'Strung Up VIP'

Oddz has converted to Islam and decided to stop producing, btw.

it's a real shame when people convert to islam that the joy and creativity they get from making and listening to music is sacrificed, i hope he gets some better advice.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
mms said:
it's a real shame when people convert to islam that the joy and creativity they get from making and listening to music is sacrificed, i hope he gets some better advice.

He must have converted to one of the most fundamentalist sects of Islam (no surprising really as the Wahhabis are the ones with the most cash to fund missionary efforts), because it's only the most extreme/harshest Muslims that think that music is haram. Hell, even fucking Sheikh Qaradawi says music is not forbidden!

mms

sometimes
Pearsall said:
He must have converted to one of the most fundamentalist sects of Islam (no surprising really as the Wahhabis are the ones with the most cash to fund missionary efforts), because it's only the most extreme/harshest Muslims that think that music is haram. Hell, even fucking Sheikh Qaradawi says music is not forbidden!

i imagine it's a personal choice, but i think he should carry on nevertheless

luka

who read that (sensationalist, david cohen) evening standard scare story about 'Da Muslim Boyz' a scary gang from south london who make people convert at gunpoint? maybe oddz was a victim of DMB?

dubplatestyle

paul this is heavy as fuck

overheard at work during "here comes the drumz" bit: "what's with all the video game noises?"

nomos

Administrator
dubplatestyle said:
is heavy as fuck
:D Cheers

I just realized that I left that chopped-up bit in one of the "Stand Up" choruses. I meant to take it out becuse I thought it was a bit long/wanky. Too late now.

bassnation

the abyss
Melchior said:
There's only one peoblem with this:

It's not long enough.

i'd agree with that, but having worked in ableton myself, it takes an eternity just to get a half hour mix out of it. acid is quicker, but even then its a lot of hard work.

wicked stuff though paul, looking forward to the next one already.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
luka said:
who read that (sensationalist, david cohen) evening standard scare story about 'Da Muslim Boyz' a scary gang from south london who make people convert at gunpoint? maybe oddz was a victim of DMB?

for some reason i thought Oddz was from Wales...

nomos

Administrator
Yeah I considered making it longer but I'd already put it aside a couple of times to get other things done so I justed wanted to get it out. And it's true, Live is a dream in some ways but the beat-matching process is super finicky. The program itself isn't too intuitive about where the beats are. At the same time, if you had all the clips prepared ahead of time, you really could perform the mix live using an external mixer, which I may still try to do if anyone in town will have me.

bassnation

the abyss
autonomicforthepeople said:
Yeah I considered making it longer but I'd already put it aside a couple of times to get other things done so I justed wanted to get it out. And it's true, Live is a dream in some ways but the beat-matching process is super finicky. The program itself isn't too intuitive about where the beats are. At the same time, if you had all the clips prepared ahead of time, you really could perform the mix live using an external mixer, which I may still try to do if anyone in town will have me.

traktor is better for off-the-cuff mixes from files that you haven't prepared before hand, but even that is not perfect. also you've got all kinds of fx in live which traktor doesn't have.

nomos

Administrator
What a weird coincidence. I had Acquisition open and someone started to download a Sidewinder set from me, so I decided to browse their shared files. All they had was a Lion King rip, a Scrabble game and maybe eight DJ Oddz tunes. So I grabbed 'Strung Up VIP.'

What an age we live in.