school me on deep house

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
DJ Sprinkles' (aka Terre Thaemlitz) 120 Midtown Blues - my record of the year so far (another great political house record!) - is all about this. (s)he cites it as coming out of a very specific (largely gay & transgendered) underground NYC scene & its very specific struggles, definitely an answer/backlash to all that C&C Music Factory/"What Is Love"/"Vogue" (there's a great track specifically ripping up Madonna) etc. pop house. or an answer to co-optation of a largely gay music (Thaemlitz focuses on the NYC scene but you could probably safely include Chicago as well). in fact one of Thaemlitz' biggest problems w/the recent deep house "revival" in European mainstream underground house is that it's once again been decontextualized - tho by the likes of Sascha Dive & Tiefschwarz & whoever else rather than Madonna.

man no this concept has not aged well at all especially given that she seems to be the only trans person that white people now default to in house music whereas people like Honey Dijon (although changing) and Lady Blacktronika just get sidelined. she has a revisionist view of techno as well and fetishises a lot of white technopop which is fine for an individual artist but as a commentator on house music i would expect better, not that i wanna be all kirk degiorgio like... although kirk is now playing cabaret voltaire on rbma lol (oh how times change...)

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Midtown 120 Blues is lush. Don't care about the ins n outs. Sprinkles is a master at what she does. Wonderful dj too.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Midtown 120 Blues is lush. Don't care about the ins n outs. Sprinkles is a master at what she does. Wonderful dj too.

i don't really like it tbh. like i said, i lean more towards being a funk man than a soul man. although of course the godfather of soul is also the godfather of funk so we rule your bodily organs.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Totally. I mean..

That shit hurts its so good. Lucky enough to see maceo live twice. Once with Prince, one his own show. Both times I could stand still for more than 5 seconds. It's pure power

Leo

one of my all-time fav albums, can get lost in it. a listening experience, stuff like "sisters, I don't know what this world is coming to" can make me feel disembodied, drifting.

luka

It's the one I played on my famous acclaimed radio show but finding the right mix is tricky I csn never remember which one it is. And it makes an enormous difference, for all that the centre piece of tge thing is the shattering vocal

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
warning its quite west-london-y but isn't deep house in general? anyway i think gu does the jazz synth thing the best whilst still keeping a groove. probably not to peoples tastes here but i can go there sometimes.

jorge

nice one will give it a listen.

been rinsing this GU tune recently, and was also thinking hes one of the best house synth noodlers, can easily sound shite but class when done right

jorge

also been obsessing over this jovonn track recently, seems like its the only song raymonda did, such a simple vocal and amazing sax, youtube commenter describes its naive beauty which i think is what i love about it

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
nice one will give it a listen.

been rinsing this GU tune recently, and was also thinking hes one of the best house synth noodlers, can easily sound shite but class when done right

Dope track. That chord thingy is exactly the type of thing that can send me into a trance. GU makes it all sound so effortless. I bet growing up in music studios surrounded by jazz musicians didn't hurt.

Re: jovonn: am such a sucker for those unpolished, a bit out of tune sounding house vocalists. Idk why, there's just something so vulnerable yet badass about it.

Last edited:

Leo

I have a bunch of glenn underground and GU 12s from back in the day, the ones on cajual and SJU are mostly like that (occasionally almost slightly too jazzy), but he also put out stuff on relief that's kind of like disco edits, really tracky.

one of my favs is "Take Me Back (Boo Williams' Take Me Back or Else mix)" but it's not on youtube.

also "beyond", the track that follows gemini's great leadoff track on that great Cajual/Relief mix comp cd on MoS. https://www.discogs.com/Cajmere-DJ-Sneak-The-Future-Sound-Of-Chicago-Cajual-Relief/release/9160

not deep house but worth posting...