The cutting edge of retro

swears

preppy-kei
Dodgy "Lawnmower Man"-style early 3D graphics

Anything to do with virtual reality including the huge chunky headsets

Ironic appreciation of the hippy-dippy/PLUR aspects of rave culture

General early 90s new-age mysticism colliding with ecstacy/ambient music/computers/awful CGI

Really crummy mid 90s websites with lots of lame HTML gimmicks, Times New Roman used as the only font and pointless (sometimes animated) clipart that took ages to load on yr 486

80s has been done to death and anything after '96 is too soon, imo. So we're drawing our inspiration from the 89-95 era, here. Don't bring up cool stuff or genres like Jungle or Garage that are too obvious and already curated/canonised enough. Rock is out of the question because it was already retro by then in the first place.

massrock

Dodgy "Lawnmower Man"-style early 3D graphics

Anything to do with virtual reality including the huge chunky headsets

Ironic appreciation of the hippy-dippy/PLUR aspects of rave culture

General early 90s new-age mysticism colliding with ecstacy/ambient music/computers/awful CGI

:eek:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
REBOOT is the new Transformers.

I do have a quaint semi-hauntological nostalgia for that early-90s futurism, like VR headsets with blocky polygon graphics.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched this film the other day, I think that some of the graphics fit the bill.

(though obviously being from 199? there is no deliberate retroness to the film)

john eden

male pale and stale
Those t-shirts which changed colour when you sweated into them.

Blaggers ITA / Fundamental / riot grrl : post-baggy but pre-new labour political pop

Megadog and Megatripolis

The Criminal Justice Act and protests against it

reading about the internet in magazines like Mondo 2000 before you even had a computer.

swears

preppy-kei
Those t-shirts which changed colour when you sweated into them.

Global Hypercolour... I had one when I was eight. It stopped working after a few washes and I complained to my mum that it was "broke".

Fractals. Lots and lots of fractals, mandlebrot sets, chaos theory, gaia.

Yes! In the rave episode of Inspector Morse, the girl who got killed was into all this stuff, which is a good sign.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Naf Naf

Bomber Jackets

Games Master

Really shit 90s football tops with garish prints & background detail (remember that Man U 3rd/euro strip, blue and white vertical stripes with players names all over it?)

Late 80s/Early 90s Nike runners, Pegasus, Air Structure, Tailwind etc

Dodgy 90s makeup & hair on birds (pale foundation, scarlet lipstick, permy hair)

Walkman(s)/Portable CD players instead of ipods/mp3 players

Big Break on the telly.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Doing the Bartman.

Manually adjusting sattellite dishes.

Rubber Hulk Hogan figurine with holes in the back.

Shirts with this fucker on them:

fidodido1.jpg