weimar germany

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
i suddenly feel compelled to read about decadent weimar germany- i really have no idea where this gaudy desire has come from but there it is...

anyway, come on you lot, what do i read then?

massrock

All I'm really aware of is the economic situation.

I suppose I hope we don't get the opportunity to study hyperinflation up close.

Would be interested to read more about this too.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
thanks for that mr k-

i've heard about mel gordon- one book about weimar and another on a particular dancer called anita berber at the time but i've read quite a few people saying that he's an extraordinairily bad writer....

isherwood i've heard of- i'll check the others out- thanks again

polystyle

Anita Berber - dunno the book on her but from painting of her with flame red hair and cig and text that went with - she's prolly closest to what you may be looking for J ...

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
Yeah, Isherwood's good I like Mr. Norris Changes Trains. What about this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...ance&x=13&y=16

this looks perfect- thanks

Anita Berber - dunno the book on her but from painting of her with flame red hair and cig and text that went with - she's prolly closest to what you may be looking for J ...

this is by mel gordon (so want to say gibson) - i just grabbed his book on weimar form the library but it turned out to be little more than a photo book- however the book about Berber does look good so i'll check that out too

thanks all- i knew you'd deliver the decadent goods

polystyle

The just about flaming red haired Berber
( that's her right - probably an image of her in the book ?)
visage came to us while attending a show about this period at the Met last year.
Haunting show - street people (Kirchner) , comic caricatures ( Grosz ) of hookers, hustlers, cripples, beggars and club goers.
Berber sounded like she was right in the middle of a whole wrecked people's scene.