Dancing

Pestario

tell your friends
Great thread. I've always half-seriously wondered if there was a Pointy Finger Continuum going from disco -> locking -> tektoniks

Disco 70s
madonna2.jpg

Locking 80s-90s
3422431314_de04db853e.jpg

Tecktoniks 2000s
1428763018_a04987688f.jpg

david-brent-dance-bbc-the-office-1.jpg

Last edited:

Pestario

tell your friends
I could talk about dance all day but vogue dramatics is still #1 for me.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

luka

craner you dance like my dad. all your moves are purloined from mick jagger.

craner

Beast of Burden
You just didn't see me in my prime. You only ever saw me dance in kitchens, falling over chairs.

Client Eastwood

Almost every reggae tune has its specific dance theres so many. Its got to the be the genre with the most dance moves attributed to it.

im only familiar with older ones like boogle, waterpumping, butterfly etc

IdleRich

IdleRich
"always loved the dancing in this!"
I guess this is something I should know but I don't. It's great.

I suppose it's well known but I still like this footage of Keb Darge before he was cool

There is not much footage (that I'm aware of) of northern soul dancing. This clip is overused but it's still good

mos dan

fact music
"Well we decided to do an experiment to see if this was true..."

yay, lee and herring!!

is this an appropriate place to mention my 'buffoon empiricist manifesto', which is a slightly tongue in cheek argument for more dancing?

http://dot-alt.blogspot.com/2009/05/buffoon-empiricist-manifesto.html

can i also point out that stelfox wrote a piece for the guardian music blog a while back lamenting the lack of original dances in uk urban music, compared to us hiphop.. which was followed swiftly by rolex sweep, and then.. well, FUNKY. who knew everyone was reading the guardian music blog?! :)

Pestario

tell your friends
yay, lee and herring!!

is this an appropriate place to mention my 'buffoon empiricist manifesto', which is a slightly tongue in cheek argument for more dancing?

http://dot-alt.blogspot.com/2009/05/buffoon-empiricist-manifesto.html

can i also point out that stelfox wrote a piece for the guardian music blog a while back lamenting the lack of original dances in uk urban music, compared to us hiphop.. which was followed swiftly by rolex sweep, and then.. well, FUNKY. who knew everyone was reading the guardian music blog?! :)

I thus pose the question, why are dances on the west side of the atlantic competitive and dances on the east side collective?

bboy showdown or migraine hoedown?

stevied

I loved Adriano Celentano.

Never seen that before. Thanks very much

Here`s Stevie Wonder from Soul Train in '72 with Superstition. Seems the dancers are collective and individual at the same time. I like the guy in green at 3:13

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ripley

But on the dacehall side, there's Elephant Man's oeuvre
Sweep

Nuh Linga, Swagger, and many more..

Dancers are really ruling the scene in Kingston right now - they seem more popular and more creative than sound system djs in a way..

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
The Nicholas Brothers:

Busby Berkeley...the real action starts around 1min 50

I like this one for some reason...possibly the great Creedence Clearwater track?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
The Skanking Continuum: I am convinced that this exists. But what musical forms does it involve - ska, 2-step, funky house, but I reckon there must have been others? And (sticking more closely to the thread idea) how has the dancing evolved with the music over the years?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Good question Andy - that obviously nobody could answer.
Nor can I but I only recently saw this and it's pretty cool. The bit you need to see is around one minute twenty-seven but watch it all.

Apparently that's the first time the moonwalk was captured on film although it existed way before.

STN

sou'wester
one of the funniest things I have ever seen is my mate pathetically trying to moonwalk while drunk, ending up in the middle of a circle of adoring fans, lumbering about like Baloo the bear.

tyranny

There's a definite continuum between the sailor's hornpipe, Irish folk dances, Tapdancing, African American competitive dancing, the Highland fling and the Crip Walk.