Dancing

hint

party record with a siren
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This one looks like (I hate to say it) my highschool (i.e. from 10+ years ago). All very dope though.

Any time I try to cok a shoulder these days, i end up in bed for three.

mos dan

fact music
The Skanking Continuum: I am convinced that this exists. But what musical forms does it involve - ska, 2-step, funky house, but I reckon there must have been others? And (sticking more closely to the thread idea) how has the dancing evolved with the music over the years?

yeah dubstep people always talk about skanking, but i'm not sure skanking in any assertive way is what most dubstep ravers have been doing. much more shuffly, on the whole. albeit with some knee action, depending on the dancer's individual proclivities. what happened when people played burial those few times at plastic people? i've usually been too gone to remember. i think people tried to dance if only to show their appreciation (because it sounded great on the system), but it was never going to kick off exactly.

joy orbison finishing with hyph mngo at nail the cross recently had the whole room with their hands in the air like it was a fucking trance rave. hands in the air for the build up to the drop (this after one reload), then scattering into full body skank outs with the drop.

which is why dismissing it as 'watery' based on the youtube clip you watched from behind your desk in new york might make you look just a little bit silly. but what do i know, i'm part of the blinkered school of western empiricism.

Client Eastwood

Some of it looks like Carlton (Fresh Prince of Bel Air) Lol, but oh man some of its crazy. The double jointed fella. Eeeeeekkk.

Client Eastwood

yeah dubstep people always talk about skanking, but i'm not sure skanking in any assertive way is what most dubstep ravers have been doing. much more shuffly, on the whole. albeit with some knee action, depending on the dancer's individual proclivities. what happened when people played burial those few times at plastic people? i've usually been too gone to remember. i think people tried to dance if only to show their appreciation (because it sounded great on the system), but it was never going to kick off exactly.

joy orbison finishing with hyph mngo at nail the cross recently had the whole room with their hands in the air like it was a fucking trance rave. hands in the air for the build up to the drop (this after one reload), then scattering into full body skank outs with the drop.

which is why dismissing it as 'watery' based on the youtube clip you watched from behind your desk in new york might make you look just a little bit silly. but what do i know, i'm part of the blinkered school of western empiricism.

Subdub skankers from last years comp. When some of the local rastas get on stage and start streching and limbering up you know its going to get serious.

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
subdub has an annual skanking competition? what are the criteria? who are the judges? tell me more!

Client Eastwood

subdub has an annual skanking competition? what are the criteria? who are the judges? tell me more!

O8 comp set here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kudu/sets/72157611229673457/

Happens once a year round about this time before Christmas. Basically about 3.00 the skankers get on stage and just go for it, the MC (usually Mark) whittles it down to about 10 people who then dance and are further reduced down to 3ish. It down to crowd reaction and/or what the MC thinks as to who wins

edit : i think the next session is with the Bush Chemists and I think that might be the night for this year.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Dubstep appeals generally to a demographic of people who basically come with "Can't Dance" written on their sleeves.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Happens once a year round about this time before Christmas. Basically about 3.00 the skankers get on stage and just go for it, the MC (usually Mark) whittles it down to about 10 people who then dance and are further reduced down to 3ish. It down to crowd reaction and/or what the MC thinks as to who wins

edit : i think the next session is with the Bush Chemists and I think that might be the night for this year.

just checked iration's website- skanking comp is 12/12/09 featuring on the night: king earthquake.

hope to reach for this- students have gone home, furious session. with luck.

Client Eastwood

just checked iration's website- skanking comp is 12/12/09 featuring on the night: king earthquake.

hope to reach for this- students have gone home, furious session. with luck.

I didnt get to to the WIC the last time King Earthquake was there but I heard it was indeed a heavy heavy session. So promises to be good this time too. Ill see . . .

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Good question Andy - that obviously nobody could answer.

Heheheh, thanks. I thought it was good question too at the time, but due to the lack of answers I was quite happy to let it fade into obscurity. :D
NB - I didn't mean my question to re-ignite old debates about whether dubstep fans are any good at dancing or whether Hyph Mngo is a proper rave tune or not. Though of course these are always fun to have. ;)

zhao

there are no accidents
logobi! (thanks word the cat)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Anyone remember that Dave Chapelle sketch where he gets that camera that can read other people's thoughts? He goes to a night club and looks thru it at a white guy dancing with a girl and hears his inner thoughts: "Right, left, right, left... look natural, look natural..."

Pestario

tell your friends
Anyone remember that Dave Chapelle sketch where he gets that camera that can read other people's thoughts? He goes to a night club and looks thru it at a white guy dancing with a girl and hears his inner thoughts: "Right, left, right, left... look natural, look natural..."

yeah or was it "1 and 2 and 1 and 2" ? I dunno it's been years since I've seen it. It's a shame the show got cancelled.

benjybars

village elder.
watching dubstep fans nervously dance to Funky at beyond is funnier tho.

apart from me. i'm a good dancer/all round mover.
:)