Corpsey

bandz ahoy
For some reason I'd think it's right up your street. It was certainly right up mine. Nice and short, too, as novels go.

version

One problem I run into with books is I struggle to say I like something if I think some of it's shit and I think there are shit bits in basically everything I've ever read.

version

For some reason I'd think it's right up your street. It was certainly right up mine. Nice and short, too, as novels go.
I expected to like Kafka more than I do. I think I'm more interested in the general thrust of an author's work, their ideas, moreso than the actual books. That's why I can't include DeLillo. I dunno if I like any of his books that much, but the subject matter and bits and pieces of them have made a big impression. I'd say the same of Burroughs too, despite including one of his.

version

I think that, Less than Zero and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas are the only things I've read that quickly.

version

I normally read like two to five pages of something every few days, but I tore through those three.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It pains me to admit that the only books I read ravenously like that are nonfiction books about serial killers.

Ballard says somewhere that the artist has the courage of their own obsessions. But my obsessions depress me, and aren't improving, as far as I can tell.

Mind you I tend not to allow myself to read fun books. Isn't that sad? I can't help but feel they lack nutritious content if it isn't at least a bit like eating my greens.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I started reading (that old chestnut) The Big Sleep. It was really good. It was the sort of book that's so well written it leaves me puce with envy.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
The other books I read that fast were The Game as a pdf (it was entertaining!) the 2nd half of the Da Vinci Code in an empty bath, I assumed I wouldn't like it, opened it about halfway through and then read until it was over early the next morning, and Fear and Loathing around 14 or so and at that time didn't know such things existed. The very first line was so unexpected and what followed didn't let up. Took a few days. Annoys me that I don't read more. Nothing quite like getting hooked in

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Which reminds me - Elmore Leonard is another incredibly gifted stylist who also happens to write very entertaining stories.

version

I was watching an interview with Leonard and Amis the other night, but had to turn it off because it was hosted by Charlie Rose and he interrupts his guests all the time.

version

I think that you would like it Version. I don't know why but I reckon. And it's short, what have you got to lose?
I will at some point. I'm not averse to reading it, just haven't gotten round to it yet. I'm trying to read Ulysses, The Odyssey, that big book of J. H. Prynne poems, Sontag's Against Interpretation and Nick Land's Fanged Noumena simultaneously. Also just finished that Tom McCarthy book of essays.