Iranian democracy

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
let's bring in an on-song Craner

fookin' hell he just utterly crushed K-Punk. who would've thought?

oh wait, they made up on Page 2.

now Droid lands some solid shots (tho cripes, also an unspeakably terrible pun referring to "Ersatz Israel"). then Craner with the most epic Dissensus post I've ever seen (31 talking points! like 20 links! including Michael Ledeen!).

dominic makes the totally crazy-juice suggestion (which Droid then endorses?) that Israel should've been carved out of Poland & Germany after WWII? WTF? I'm sure Stalin would've been enthused.

the joys of reading thru 4 yr old Dissensus threads.

vimothy

yurp
Could be Craner's best ever post on that thread.

Also, some crazy talk regarding election fraud and the Council of Guardians... Actually, there is a lot of crazy talk in that thread. Crazy time, I guess.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Actually, there is a lot of crazy talk in that thread. Crazy time, I guess.

from K-Punk:

World without America.... good

World without Israel... good

World without Zionism....good

That of course doesn't mean that these countries are to be removed by force... but in an ideal world, yeh, let's see the back of them...

I don't think it ever stopped being a crazy time for him.

vimothy

yurp
Hahaha -- brilliant: "That of course doesn't mean that these countries are to be removed by force... but in an ideal world, yeh, let's see the back of them..."

crackerjack

Nor is it easy to predict where Iran goes from here. The election has split the ruling Establishment as never before, with its leading members openly trading accusations and insults. It has laid bare the great chasms in Iranian society - traditionalists against modernists, rural against urban, devout against secular. After the insurrection of the past two weeks, after such extraordinary manifestations of popular discontent, it is hard to see how the fractured regime can put the genie back in the bottle.

It is possible that violence will erupt if Mr Ahmadinejad is declared the victor and Mr Mousavi's supporters cry foul. It is likely that Mr Mousavi will fail to meet his supporters' sky-high expectations, partly because the Supreme Leader remains the real power in the land and partly because he is, in truth, a flawed vehicle for their hopes and aspirations.

Only one thing is certain. Iran will never be quite the same again. “We are in a new phase in this country and civilisation,” Saeed Laylaz, a respected political consultant, said as his compatriots prepared to vote.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article6480970.ece

polystyle

“We are in a new phase in this country and civilisation,” Saeed Laylaz, a respected political consultant, said as his compatriots prepared to vote.
- that's the spirit !

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Hahaha, shoulda known. Will Birkbeck be hosting Markism conferences in a hundred years' time, I wonder?

Do you have to ask?

All over the world right now, there are still people holding conferences and ex-spending precious natural resources over things as important and pressing as the legacy of Democritus.

Marx is good for at least another few thousand years.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Do you have to ask?

All over the world right now, there are still people holding conferences and ex-spending precious natural resources over things as important and pressing as the legacy of Democritus.

Marx is good for at least another few thousand years.

N.B. MarKism, as in Mark K-punk - not MarXism.