Iranian democracy

crackerjack

i am still wondering which Empire i am a sycophant for. w so many sexy empires around the world today, some emergent some more established, i don't want to restrict myself.

feel free to add your views on who i should rep for.

so far i'm open to whoring myself for the following : -

Amerikkka and its Zionist lapdog
Resurgent Russian
Aspirational & Ambitious Persian
Ethnic Han CCP
Riverine Khartoum elite
Blue Sky Caliphate
Moroccan incursion

no love for the EUSSR?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
no love for the EUSSR?

no we all have a Rubicon after all. in my case it's a distaste for JACKBOOTED FASCISTS CRUSHING OUR FREEDOMS WITH THEIR BANANA RULES AND METRIC LUNACY.

hey you feel free to schelp yourself over to Belgium (not even a proper state), if you like GAYS AND MUSLIMS that much, be my frakkin' guest

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Iranian state television said 31 people died in the attack, in the Pishin region of Sistan-Baluchistan, and more than 25 were injured.
Shia and Sunni tribal leaders were also killed. A Sunni resistance group, Jandullah, said they carried it out.
:(

scottdisco

rip this joint please
couple of interesting details in an OD piece, which i excerpt below

The election of Barack Obama, after which the new president consistently indicated the United States's willingness to negotiate, to a great degree relieved the regime of its fears of an assault (at least from America). In his Persian nowrooz (new-year) message he addressed the regime as "the Islamic Republic of Iran", implicitly recognising its legitimacy and withdrawing the prospect of active regime-change promotion in the country. In addition, Obama sent two letters to Ayatollah Khamenei weeks before the presidential election.

Iran's supreme leader was pleased by this response, stating that "now the threat of a military strike is over." His appointee General Hassan Firouzabadi, armed forces chief-of-staff, affirmed that "the presidency of Obama has utterly diminished our sense of threat."

Iran's new defence minister, at his appointment ceremony, praised Obama's two letters to Khamenei as reflecting a realistic approach. For the first time he even declared on behalf of the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC): "There is no problem in negotiating with the United States". A number of other statements echoed this interpretation. General Mohammad Ali Jafari, chief commander of the IRGC, asserted that "military threats are no longer a priority for our enemies"; Heidar Moslehi, Iran's new intelligence minister, voiced the same view in a speech to the majlis

from here

scottdisco

rip this joint please
cheers PS.

good, short leader from The Times last Thursday worth quoting in full

Neda Soltan was 26 and a student of philosophy when she was killed by a bullet to the chest in June during a demonstration over Iran’s disputed election. Her killer, most likely, was a member of Iran’s Basij militia. This week The Queen’s College in Oxford established a graduate scholarship in philosophy in her memory. The Iranian Embassy has now complained, denouncing the move as “politically motivated”.

In other news, the Ayatollah has a beard. Of course this scholarship is politically motivated. What else could it be? The death of Neda Soltan, captured on harrowing video and broadcast around the world, was a brutal example of what can happen when a shaken regime seeks to crush legitimate dissent. The official Iranian response has done much to nudge Iran away from the relatively respectable status of “pariah” and towards that of “international basket case”.

Miss Soltan was denied a proper funeral. Since then, Iranian officials have blamed her death on MI6, the CIA, the Iranian opposition themselves (in order, they said, to garner sympathy) and, in a move that soars beyond the blackest satire, story-hungry journalists from the BBC. Meanwhile, ordinary Iranians have adopted her as a symbol of all that Iran could be.

The problems of Iran have not gone away, even if they no longer lead the news as they did this summer. The regime of President Ahmadinejad remains entrenched and protest suppressed. Only last week police and militiamen fought running battles with demonstrators on the streets of Tehran. A scholarship at The Queen’s College in memory of Neda Soltan is, indeed, politically motivated, and admirably so.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
manufacturing outrage?

Iran's Supreme Leader has accused the opposition of breaking the law by insulting the Islamic Republic's founder, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei urged opposition leaders to "identify "those behind the insult to Imam Khomeini".
The remarks centre on an alleged incident last Monday during which a poster of Imam Khomeini was torn up.
Opposition leaders say the alleged incident - shown on state television - has been doctored.

dangerous times