Coffee

alex

Do not read this.
Filter or Instant?

Any particular region of the world?

For me personally at home I like co-op's own organic coffee, the title may put you off but a couple of sugars and its lovely!!!

scottdisco

rip this joint please
a bit of waffle..

what you said. well, maybe some milk and no sugar. or often straight. easy really :)

got a new machine recently, quite pleased with it.

i am a layperson (as the 'easy really' comments imply..) so couldn't comment on regions, whenever i've had any thing from any region that suited me, that was it.

Clipper another company i used to use a lot. the last couple of bags were some random fair trade from Sainsbury, Percol i think.

i don't ground my own or anything like that, Luka's a barista in Sydney, he might contribute.

Intelligentsia a nice roasting/cafe company in Chicago/Hollywood and i know i liked La Colombe Torrefaction in Philadelphia as coffee-shops go when there. was very pleased with things when i went to Milan recently.

good coffee countries in terms of cafe culture to drink in?

Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Spain, Australia, States?

France, Canada, Austria?

anyone?

parochial aside:
Ireland, certainly per capita, is far better than Britain incidentally. Dublin has some fine coffee joints imo (per head, at the very least, far better than London), and Cork has one or two small but belting places.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Get Mokarabia beans and put them in one of those french machines on the stove I can't remember the name of...

Black with lots of sugar, definitely. Just like the Lebanese do it.

On the other hand,c affeine is a hideous drug, and my withdrawal symptoms are kicking in right about....now.

Oh, for Londoners, go to El Rincon in Clapham (not too full of Claphamites, so don't worry) - double espresso is unbelievable.

Last edited:

Pestario

tell your friends
good coffee countries in terms of cafe culture to drink in?

Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Spain, Australia, States?

France, Canada, Austria?

anyone?

Melbourne has a great cafe culture due to the large italian population and the city's aspirations to 'European sophistication'. The little one person, 3 stool barista operations down back alleyways are a delight.

Alex: agreed with the Co-op organic too

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Melbourne has a great cafe culture due to the large italian population and the city's aspirations to 'European sophistication'. The little one person, 3 stool barista operations down back alleyways are a delight.

And the Portuguese population! My friend wouldn't forgive me if I didn't point that out at this apposite juncture.

john eden

male pale and stale
Has anyone had that Zapatista coffee?

I want to get some just so I can see the withering looks off my Mum when she comes round.

mos dan

fact music
kiwi housemates constantly whinge about the quality of uk coffee relative to nz/italy/spain. 'flat whites' are the thing, apparently. i'm not as snooty as them, but instant coffee? really? i make do with sainsbury's 2-bags-for-£3 filter coffee.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Has anyone had that Zapatista coffee?

plenty of times. both when I was there - all the villages I was in had a tendency to brew it weak & unbearably sweet, which makes sense cos most of them were also growing sugarcane - & then later I used to buy it every now & again back in the States until I stopped drinking coffee. good stuff, certainly.

here is an article on the great Mut Vitz cooperative, including an interview w/one of the campesinos - there is also a video made by coop members but unfortunately I couldn't find it online

in general coffee is of course huge in southern Mexico as a cash crop. it's by far the largest organic cash crop - enough to be a significant portion - like 5-10% - of overall coffee production. tho unfortunately one of the enduring ironies of Mexico (similar to many places in the world I'm sure) is that unless you're actually in a coffee-producing area everyone drinks/the only thing you can find is the abomination knows as Nescafe.

from 2001 - Social Dimensions of Organic Coffee Production in Mexico

STN

sou'wester
Do people still use paper filters for coffee? I have one of those caffetiere things, but am more of a tea drinker.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I'm gonna add a third vote for the co-op organic in terms of home drinking. As for cafes, not a total expert, but easily the two best places for coffee I've experienced in Glasgow are Tapa on Pollokshaws Road (think they have one in Dennistoun too) and Montgomery's on Radnor Street, by Kelvingrove Park. Both slightly out from the centre but well worth the visit.

alex

Do not read this.
Do people still use paper filters for coffee? I have one of those caffetiere things, but am more of a tea drinker.

yea definately, to use the filter machine you have to use the paper filters (well thats how mine works anyway, you have to make sure the paper filter is correctly inserted, or bits in your coffee :(

caffetiere's are okay, my g/f makes mine in the morning from one of those, they just take a while dont they..

nomos

Administrator
montreal has a lively, unpretentious outdoor cafe culture and there's roasters everywhere on the plateau. in the summer you smell it all over.

i got given an espresso machine a few years ago and it's spoiled me. i don't make anything fancy but dark roast americanos sure beat a maxwell house drip.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Do people still use paper filters for coffee?

yeah but you can get reusable filters. I had one for a long time. you just rinse it, thoroughly, after each use. tho coffee shops, or at least every coffee shop I worked in, use paper filters. higher standards - if you leave any traces of the old grounds it imparts a bitter, unpleasant taste.

Black with lots of sugar, definitely. Just like the Lebanese do it.

several years ago I had to to spend a couple months in Miami under very stressful conditions & I became a huge fan of café cubano, which is essentially the same thing but w/espresso instead of brewed in a pot. the problem is that it's so sweet you can just knock them back - also you can get them everywhere & usually for >$1, at one point I was drinking like 6 or 7 a day.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
My friend Tyler showed me a Vietnamese way of making coffee where you pour black coffee over a spoonful or so of condensed milk in the bottom of the mug. He described it as tasting like you thought coffee was going to taste like when you first tried it as a kid and were disappointed.

STN

sou'wester
And does anyone still just use a weird plastic funnel with a paper filter in it that sits on top of the cup and drains in?

Sorry, like I said, I'm a diehard teahead (not in the Burroughsian sense), my parents have a machine, but occasionally when I go back there I see the funnel thing doing it's funnelly business.

craner

Beast of Burden
And does anyone still just use a weird plastic funnel with a paper filter in it that sits on top of the cup and drains in

Yes, me. It's an extremely pleasant thing to do in the morning, and makes delicious coffee, and it's really quick and easy.

nomos

Administrator
that vietnamese coffee is great. winds me up too much but it's delicious. you can get the drip filters for a couple of bucks in chinatown.

vietnamese-drip-coffee.jpg

jenks

thread death
I ended up in a row with my wife over this...

it's got to be black, no sugar and it's got be strong...

the machine above is perfect, as long as you don't let it stew (and you remember not to pick it up without a teatowel)

and buy yourself a grinder - fresh beans, nothing finer...