Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolling (though slowly, I'd imagine) Gaming Thread

Currently geeking out over the forthcoming Battlefield 1943, which is going to be an Xbox Live download. Should tide me over til Modern Warfare 2.

I still play COD4 multiplayer, mostly out of habit. Pop into hardcore team deathmatch and sneak around for half an hour or so.

Fallout 3 is indeed a total life-eater. I felt compelled for a few intense weeks to spend time playing it every day just to finish it, so I could be free and move on. I'm scared of Oblivion as a result and will resist its bargain price.

Picked up Forza Motorsport 2 cheap the other week. It's quite relaxing! I really don't know a whole lot about cars though, so I have no idea whether I should buy a new flywheel or adjust my downforce or whatever on my Renault Clio.

The latest Tomb Raider is good fun and beautiful to explore. It's perhaps a bit too easy though.

Proper in-car view for Forza 3 - can't wait!

No consoles + old Apple laptop = not many gaming opportunities.
    I mainly play Starcraft against people on the internet and get humiliated. Still amazingly fun given it's 10+ years old. There's a sequel out soon apparently. It'll doubtless be rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by 4linehaiku View Post
    No consoles + old Apple laptop = not many gaming opportunities.
    Enemy Territory is good, free, fun: http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18598

been playing Batman Arkham Asylum all weekend.

Well, I say all weekend, but the in-laws were down, so it was more a case of sneaking down in the middle of the night or pretending I couldn't go to place X because Bruce needed me.

WHAT A GAME.

Love it.

Everything works well, different bits of the game are integrated beautifully, sneaking around rules as does being brutal. Batman looks more and more done in as the game goes on- my cloak is almost in shreds.

Recently clocked Halo: ODST, which was a nice little timewaster, but maybe a little brief. Maybe that's for the best though, because with epic titles like Oblivion/Fallout etc, I usually fail to finish them even after playing for 20+ hrs.

Picked up Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising last week, which is like a pre-GRAW Ghost Recon mixed with some COD4 & Full Spectrum Warrior for good measure. Lots of camping out in bushes, planning attacks and ordering your men to hold positions, flank enemies and such. Definitely worth getting your hands on if you find the likes of Call Of Duty a little too dumbed down or Hollywood at times. Asda & Tesco had it at 27 over the weekend, I'm not sure if that'll continue this week.

ok tip please!

i am not up on games really but veyr much enjoyed fallout 3 and have a decent pc that can run stuff

any tips please? either like that or strategy one, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cobretti View Post
    Picked up Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising last week, which is like a pre-GRAW Ghost Recon mixed with some COD4 & Full Spectrum Warrior for good measure. Lots of camping out in bushes, planning attacks and ordering your men to hold positions, flank enemies and such. Definitely worth getting your hands on if you find the likes of Call Of Duty a little too dumbed down or Hollywood at times. Asda & Tesco had it at 27 over the weekend, I'm not sure if that'll continue this week.
    Sounds pretty good, but I'm hanging on for MW2 to get my guns fix (an addiction I didn't know I had until playing COD4).

Quote Originally Posted by viktorvaughn View Post
    ok tip please!

i am not up on games really but veyr much enjoyed fallout 3 and have a decent pc that can run stuff

any tips please? either like that or strategy one, thanks
    PS3 only here, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by cobretti View Post
    I'm in 2 minds about getting this. I only play Hardcore multiplayer on COD4 these days, cos I'm into the whole stealthy one-shot-kill / no radar style of play. But I was reading about Operation Flashpoint and the review mentioned that if you die in a mission it will throw you right back to the start, which can wipe out an hour's worth of progress, for example.

I'm all for high difficulty / tension in games, but the idea of making progress and then having it wiped out due to one mistake is a bit too extreme for me in this day and age, I think.

Forza 3 is out in a couple of weeks. I think I'll save my money for that.

Assassin's Creed II is due soon too, right?

OFP-DR is brilliant when played with 3 friends via online co-op. Discussing what to do next, shitting yourself when bullets start flying out of nowhere, crying like a girl when you bleed out on the floor because your medic was too scared to run over and help - hardcore gaming doesn't get any better.

But the bugs, oh Christ the bugs. I've been killed 3 times walking up stairs. The first time it was hilarious for all involved... but when it takes up to an hour to finish a mission and once you are dead - your dead, the novelty soon wore off. Oh, and floating off at the start of a map only to fall to my death... watching people freeze in place like a statue when dead instead of falling over... not being able to swap guns with each other... AT missiles exploding in your face when you try and fire over a wall. It just goes on and on.

Yeah Flashpoint is quite buggy, but it's just a symptom of having such a large sandbox environment with so much going on across such a scale at any one time. Unfortunately, throwing co-op players in to the mix only serves to exacerbate things. There is a patch on the way though, which should eliminate issues such as weapon swaps, non-team leader co-op players being able to loot bodies etc, as well as some of the more back end/tech bugs. Still well worth picking up though, if you don't like it after playing, Gamestation are offering MW2 for a fiver with selected trade ins, Flashpoint being one of them.

Oh aye, Hint, it's only on the Hardcore difficulty (no compass, one hit kills, not even a bloody crosshair) that you get sent straight back to the start once you're killed. To be honest, normal is enough of a challenge with waypoints/compass/crosshair etc turned on, so the checkpoints it provides are definitely handy.

Viktorvaughn, if you're after a similar experience to Fallout, give one of the Elder Scrolls series a go. Think of it as Fallout 3 in swords & sorcery fantasy land (it's developed by the same mob, Bethesda), and it's just as epic. IF that doesn't sound like your scene, give Mass Effect a go (sci-fi action RPG), or try Warcraft 3 for a melding of strategy & RPG elements. I've always fancied the Total War series of strategy games too, but haven't had a PC since the series started.

Default Ambient / Psychedelic indie games...

Brainpipe

Osmos

The Acorn vs Sinclair doc mentioned above is on iPlayer at the mo, too