Rolling (though slowly, I'd imagine) Gaming Thread

matt b

Indexing all opinion
We've had a few gaming related threads in the past:

http://www.dissensus.com/search.php?searchid=164679

But not much.

That is bad.

I'm still loving my PS3. Currently hammering Afrika (AKA Hakuna Matata), which is great. A wicked change from running around shooting shit*:

(edit: Jesus, make sure you turn the sound down before playing clip)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I spent 20 minutes sitting up a tree waiting to get a picture of a baby elephant on saturday.

What are others liking/hating etc?

*which must make up 90% of all PS3 games :(

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Street Fighter 4
both for Xbox 360

Got SF4, but haven't really caught the bug yet- it's so chuffing complicated. I could bang out fire balls et al (SF2 moves) straight away, but super revenge focus dash combos confused me. Also, on-line multiplayer seems really mean spirited from what i can gather

I'll get round to elder scrolls at some point, but I am concerned about losing touch with the outside world (it's summer, i'd quite like to leave the house).

nomos

Administrator
i've never been much of a gamer (or not since my NES anyway) but i've got undying love for Mario Kart 64. and the Gamecube version was really good too. not so much the Wii. very nice that you can find good emulators for the N64 now.

4-player battle mode is sublime:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

as for games from this century, i've gotten hooked on Real Soccer 2009 and, now Eliss, for the iPod touch. the soccer one would be hard to improve on. and eliss is something else altogether, aesthectically very different (reminds me of turux more than anything) and totally native to the touch screen interface. it also sounds like it was scored by WARP mid-90s.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I saw "rolling" and "gaming" in the same line, so my first thought was this:

dccBone.jpg

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
I'm a keen gamer, but seem to have lost my mojo this summer as I've been skating pretty much every evening instead. Went through a rather heavy period of Fallout 3 addiction in the Winter there, from the same bunch as Oblivion, but set in a post nuclear wasteland. Should be familiar to anyone who played the original Fallout series. Excellent game and I can't recommend it enough.

Played a whole lot of Rock Band and Left 4 Dead in that period too, but they're a little more gung ho than Fallout. Currently looking forward to Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in a mega stylee. Dissensus Deathmatch kicking off around October (or is it November?)!!

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i've got undying love for Mario Kart 64. and the Gamecube version was really good too. not so much the Wii. very nice that you can find good emulators for the N64 now.

Yeah, Mariokart rules- so much FUN to play, beautifully executed- good players can show their skills, new ones don't feel left out.

I played the wii version at a friends house and was a bit underwhelmed, especially by the online multiplayer- the graphics were poor and it played a lot slower.

Diddy Kong racing might have been even better- like Mariokart, but with added planes and hovercraft.

Eliss looks good. One day I may upgrade my firmware so I can use the Appstore.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Went through a rather heavy period of Fallout 3 addiction in the Winter...Currently looking forward to Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in a mega stylee. Dissensus Deathmatch kicking off around October (or is it November?)!!

I enjoyed (am enjoying!) COD 4 multiplayer. The hardcore gamers on there are hilarious

Singleplayer was take it or leave it- not really a fan of FPS especially ones with a lot of respawning- I haven't even bothered to finish it yet.

In other related news:
1. BBC4 is doing a drama doc. on Spectrum vs BBC micro

2. I took photos of ostriches and meercats yesterday

D

droid

1. BBC4 is doing a drama doc. on Spectrum vs BBC micro

No contest! should be speccy v c64/atari 2600 though really.

I played a nice downloaded game on the 360 a while ago. You were the wind and you had to fly around valleys and hills collecting flower petals...

Other than that i like the look of table tennis on the Wii, but I haven't had time to play any games in ages so I probably wont bother.

Pestario

tell your friends
Used to be big pc gamer before I moved to London and had to ditch my ninja pc for a macbook. So now my gaming is limited to the DS but it's perfect to carry around the tube/bus whatever.

Just finished GTA: chinatown wars last night. It's amazing how much content they crammed in there. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I'm going to buy Rhythm Paradise now ha ha

matt b

Indexing all opinion
No contest! should be speccy v c64/atari 2600 though really..

It's interesting because there was this big debate at the time about whether home computers were leisure machines or educational ones- the two didn't really mix that much. Spectrums were all garish colours, BBCs were serious by comparison.

C64 was the best gaming machine of all of them.

I played a nice downloaded game on the 360 a while ago. You were the wind and you had to fly around valleys and hills collecting flower petals...

Must have been Flowers:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

The interaction with the music etc is really good in this game, but you really have to put the 'finish the level as fast as you can' urge on the back burner to appreciate it fully.

These sorts of games are so much more interesting than the ones masterbatory teenage boys love. I wish the tide turned towards them. (uch, that's created a disturbing mental image)

hint

party record with a siren
Currently geeking out over the forthcoming Battlefield 1943, which is going to be an Xbox Live download. Should tide me over til Modern Warfare 2.

I still play COD4 multiplayer, mostly out of habit. Pop into hardcore team deathmatch and sneak around for half an hour or so.

Fallout 3 is indeed a total life-eater. I felt compelled for a few intense weeks to spend time playing it every day just to finish it, so I could be free and move on. I'm scared of Oblivion as a result and will resist its bargain price.

Picked up Forza Motorsport 2 cheap the other week. It's quite relaxing! I really don't know a whole lot about cars though, so I have no idea whether I should buy a new flywheel or adjust my downforce or whatever on my Renault Clio.

The latest Tomb Raider is good fun and beautiful to explore. It's perhaps a bit too easy though.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Proper in-car view for Forza 3 - can't wait!

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

4linehaiku

Repetitive
No consoles + old Apple laptop = not many gaming opportunities.
I mainly play Starcraft against people on the internet and get humiliated. Still amazingly fun given it's 10+ years old. There's a sequel out soon apparently. It'll doubtless be rubbish.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
been playing Batman Arkham Asylum all weekend.

Well, I say all weekend, but the in-laws were down, so it was more a case of sneaking down in the middle of the night or pretending I couldn't go to place X because Bruce needed me.

WHAT A GAME.

Love it.

Everything works well, different bits of the game are integrated beautifully, sneaking around rules as does being brutal. Batman looks more and more done in as the game goes on- my cloak is almost in shreds.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>