massrock

I mean that's just it, I wouldn't want to get personally abusive about people's selections but a lot of them I do think wtf? So it's a personal thing. That's nice.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Lara Stone looks like a skull, and not in a good way either.

Edit: the intentional red-eye in the second photo is quite cool, though.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
No I don't like that look at all, she's rank. I'd want to punch that face.

gosh you're a real charmer! :(

anyway i said like, ie very good loooking people are quite breathtaking to look at, i've seen a few really good looking famous people in the flesh and they're usually REALLY good looking, you know in a magazine they're always next to very good looking people anyway, next to me and you their looks are magnified. I saw kylie minogue in a club once, madonna too, and it was really suprising just how attractive they were in comparison to everyone else in the room.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Queen_Rania_Biography.jpg

I'm sensing a pattern, Tea...brunettes with prominent brows. Actually I like your taste in women.

Lara Stone is very haute couture. She has a Grace Jones disco-crazy thing about her too. I think my bf would have a crush on her. I sure do.

Zhao, I think the media promotes a certain standard of beauty that's taken as an "ideal"--usually white Anglo-Saxon features, or "colored" people with features that fit best within this mold-- but if you look at what people actually find attractive, and what biological factors end up playing a huge role (people who look good to you on film may not be attractive at all in person, or in bed, etc.) in "pair bonding", these two don't always have that much to do with one another. Like where I used to live, where people don't have money and AIDS and drugs are real problems, I was considered disgustingly thin and grotesque by most people. Whereas in a white community I'm still within average range in size (although I have had white strangers tell me I need to gain weight, which is really fucking presumptuous and rude). Basically the "everything is cultural" model of psychosexual attraction is just another form of cheap reductionism.

I've noticed, having known models, that there's a certain set of traits that look good on camera that don't necessarily translate in real life. For example, a lot of them have abstractly beautiful faces with large eyes and mouth (like, e.g., Angelina Jolie) in pictures, but in person they like one of those bobble-head toys because their heads are disproportionately large. Symmetry helps, and there are evolutionary benefits to looking symmetrical--basically it means as a zygote you were strong and resilient against outside forces, and made exact mirror image copies throughout fetal development.

The older I get and the more experience I have with sexual subcultures, the more convinced I am that the media's "ideals" and standards bear little resemblence to what excites people in real life. And that what people see when the look at the same face or body can be very different based on all kinds of factors--cultural, personal, biological...

Last edited:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Let's put some mens on here too.

T.I. is one of the most physically attractive guys on the plant IMO. I don't even know if he'd be considered conventionally attractive, but I could stare at his face all day.

TI_bio_image.jpg

Adrien Brody

Adrien_Brody-4.0.0.0x0.290x350.jpeg

Joaquin Phoenix, although he's a little off his meds I think lately, he was so perfect in the role of an evil and vindictive Roman perv.

joaquin-phoenix-20050731-59216.jpg

Whatshisname sexy vampire

RobertPattinson.jpg

Gael Garcia Bernal

Gael%20Garcia%20Bernal.jpg

It's true that there are more musicians than actors who are hot-- most of these new Hollywood guys are bland. Brad Pitt is very unattractive to me, as are Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, and George Clooney. Icky ick ick.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
It's nice you put up Adrien Brody, because he's kind of like me, wonky face, big nose, except I'm a little better looking, blonde, and an awful actor. Whoever put up Queen Rania is right, she's the most beautiful woman on the planet. However, my preference for Bollywood Starlet-types and Arab babes is a bit of a tired joke amongst my friends.

queen-rania2.jpg

Yes, I know, I'm sorry, honey.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm sensing a pattern, Tea...brunettes with prominent brows. Actually I like your taste in women.

A good eyebrow is key. So often you see women who'd otherwise be very pretty but have plucked them down to almost nothing, and in some cases painted them on again in a big perma-surprised arch. In extreme cases it can have an effect not unlike a clown or drag queen.

But when it's done right - you can't argue with Liz Taylor's Egyptian eyebrows:

Cleopatra-elizabeth-taylor-4947265-519-393.jpg

Edit:

It's nice you put up Adrien Brody, because he's kind of like me, wonky face, big nose, except I'm a little better looking, blonde, and an awful actor. Whoever put up Queen Rania is right, she's the most beautiful woman on the planet. However, my preference for Bollywood Starlet-types and Arab babes is a bit of a tired joke amongst my friends.

Holy cow, we might as well be the same person. We even have the same first name. I'll have to watch myself for signs of paranoid crypto-fascism... ;)

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Really? How much conformity do you think I think there is? How do you know?

i don't know much about what goes on in your head, Massrock, only what you choose to write:

...everyone has such different criteria for attractiveness. Vive le differences.

IBasically the "everything is cultural" model of psychosexual attraction is just another form of cheap reductionism.

i agree with you and nomad that there are lots of differences, and the big differences between cultural ideals and "4D" life, but on the other hand i think culture and conformism should not be under estimated.

...the more convinced I am that the media's "ideals" and standards bear little resemblence to what excites people in real life. And that what people see when the look at the same face or body can be very different based on all kinds of factors--cultural, personal, biological...

wait, you said the media has little to do with what excites people, and then went on to name "culture" as the first determining factor, before "personal" and "biological", of what people find attractive...

certainly my view is biased because i lived in Los Angeles for a decade, one of if not the most media saturated/obsessed, and by extension conformist cities in the world... i've noticed definite differences in behavior patterns in Berlin when it comes to these things.

another possible reason for culture and media weighing in a bit heavier in my assessment than in yours might be because I'm not white (or black, images of which also saturate the media), and also have looks which are a little bit outside of cultural norms. and as somewhat of an "outsider" i may have noticed these things a bit more.

zhao

there are no accidents
Symmetry helps, and there are evolutionary benefits to looking symmetrical--basically it means as a zygote you were strong and resilient against outside forces, and made exact mirror image copies throughout fetal development.

not sure if i understand the connection between symmetry and the zygote being strong?

zhao

there are no accidents
and as for "realness"... speaking only in terms of visual aesthetic, i've noticed an often difference between myself and other members of the "underground music / art / anti-establishment lefties bohemia" communitiy, in that i definitely prefer more standard or more classic notions of feminine beauty... heels, makeup, short dresses, etc. as opposed to the hoody, jeans and sneakers and no make up... what is sad is the divide between the 2 cultures which should not be mutually exclusive.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
andylau.jpg

Andy Lau

Javier+Bardem.jpg

Javier Bardem

LouDiamondPhillipsByPhilKonstantinPublicDomain.jpg

Lou Diamond Philips

DonCheadle_J__McCart_13270936.jpg

Don Cheadle

delighted to see Craner on here.

Massrock- flinging compact discs from high places, punching random women: tsk tsk, i thought i was the one with the Punch and Judy fix?
:p

gumdrops

laila rouass
LailaRouass8.jpg

nicole pussycat doll (standard i know but i dont care!)
f5cbyd.jpg

monica belluci
21955_Monica.Bellucci6_122_1099lo

p cruz
volver_l1.jpg

tasmin lucia khan from bbc 3
Tasmin_Lucia_Khan15.jpg

currently tho i fancy the brunette in the sure deodrant ads on the tube...

outside of famous women though, i tend to like more normal than the usual ultra glammed up girls. and i see a lot better girls in the street than some of the ones posted here too!

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

queen-rania2.jpg

Yes, I know, I'm sorry, honey.

She's beautiful. Get thee to Edgware Road in London. I've rarely been so gobsmacked by beautiful girls.

gumdrops

i love laila rouass. she made footballers wives essential viewing. not that the plots didnt do that already of course...

mms

sometimes

Lara Stone is very haute couture. She has a Grace Jones disco-crazy thing about her too. I think my bf would have a crush on her. I sure do.

its the lips and the cheekbones, the interesting face combined with the hot as you like body that does it for me.
I don't have a type, i don't understand that really, although my girfriend thinks i do, but i like cheek bones and good mouths, not keen on very skinny girls and don't like skinny bums.

Last edited:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
If I may drag it back to nerdy, white comediennes:

isysuttie243x342.jpg

Isy Suttie

I assume you all know what Tina Fey looks like, but here's 30 Rock's most underrated beauty (except Judah Friedlander, but that's a bear thing and I won't clog the thread with those):

321775016_l.jpg

Sue Galloway

Last edited: