the "i'm rubbish, help me please" thread

don_quixote

Trent End
i'm sorry for constant appeals (see ashes thread)... but

i thought i had my holiday sorted for accommodation but the person who's floor im kipping on in holland has pulled out of the first night, so any advice on where to book somewhere to stay, on the cheap but w/out fearing for my life, abroad, with less than a weeks notice?

feel free to put other pathetic, desperate, lack of common sense appeals in this thread, whilst wondering at the levels of trust i give to people on the internet...

polystyle

In Amsterdam or ?
Have good experience there last time in 2007,
cheap, clean places in hostels esp. if you book ahead ...
Seems quite safe and there are many

Last edited by a moderator:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
booking.com is easily the best site for last minute deals on hostels/pensions/hotel rooms I've ever come across. They usually have cheaper rooms at the v last minute, as hotels go to them to fill 2-3 spare places etc.

good luck

don_quixote

Trent End
basicallyim heading to leiden and flying into amsterdam, so either amsterdam or leiden is cool. and my friend says the hague as well.

cheers for the suggestions

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
you'll be fine.

Well, then this seems the perfect thread for ane enquiry of my own...I've lost the cable to conenct my phone to my computer. If someone could just come around between the hours of 2pm and 5pm and sort this shit out, it would make me really fucking happy.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
difficult to say...i always have done it at the last minute....but have a look now and see if you're willing to pay what they're charging...prob best.

CHAOTROPIC

on account
booking.com is easily the best site for last minute deals on hostels/pensions/hotel rooms I've ever come across. They usually have cheaper rooms at the v last minute, as hotels go to them to fill 2-3 spare places etc.

good luck

Ta Baboon! Thanks to that heads-up I just saved nearly £150 on a double room in Montmartre for me & my partner's anniversary weekend at the end of July.

Eight thousand thanx!!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ta Baboon! Thanks to that heads-up I just saved nearly £150 on a double room in Montmartre for me & my partner's anniversary weekend at the end of July.

Eight thousand thanx!!

No worries - happy to be of help.

think everyone should know about that site! :D

STN

sou'wester
I keep hearing this scratching noise in my loft, mostly at night (11pm) and in the morning (4am). It definitely sounds like a creature, but the pest control people have found nothing. Roofers have blocked all the holes but still it continues. What can it be? Some sort of hobgoblin?

It's driving me mental anyway.

STN

sou'wester
But traps and bait (both in and out of traps) have been left up there, and no squirrels have been trapped and no bait has been taken from anywhere... could they have a nest on the roof outside?

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
basicallyim heading to leiden and flying into amsterdam, so either amsterdam or leiden is cool. and my friend says the hague as well.

cheers for the suggestions

Dude, you don't even need to book any reservations.

I showed up in Amsterdam without any clue where I was going to stay in a group of three people and we just went to a travel agency and waited in line for a half hour, then they gave us a room in a hotel for $250/night. It wasn't palatial (probably 2.5 stars) but it was in a nice central location and everything. This was in the height of tourist season, too.

john eden

male pale and stale
But traps and bait (both in and out of traps) have been left up there, and no squirrels have been trapped and no bait has been taken from anywhere... could they have a nest on the roof outside?

aliens_in_the_attic.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I keep hearing this scratching noise in my loft, mostly at night (11pm) and in the morning (4am). It definitely sounds like a creature, but the pest control people have found nothing. Roofers have blocked all the holes but still it continues. What can it be? Some sort of hobgoblin?"
Same thing happened with me, turned out it was rats.

Anyway, the fuse keeps blowing in my house. Different things on different circuits seem to blow it and sometimes literally anything being plugged in will blow the fuse, other times this doesn't happen. Got an electrician to come round and have a look on Saturday and he changed a part in the immersion heater, charged me a ton and fucked off - fuse blew again about ten minutes later. Now he's saying he might have to change the RCD whatever that is, anyone?

STN

sou'wester
Rats would take the baits just as a squirrel would though, and the pest control guy seems certain it isn't rats. I've been up to investigate but seen nothing. Getting up in the loft is such a palaver and so noisy that it gives ample time for whatever it is to flee.

The RCD is some sort of main fuse thingy. It shorts whenever it senses an imbalance. Mine needs changing too cos it's just one main switch, not lots of little switches, one for each fuse.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Rats would take the baits just as a squirrel would though, and the pest control guy seems certain it isn't rats. I've been up to investigate but seen nothing. Getting up in the loft is such a palaver and so noisy that it gives ample time for whatever it is to flee.
Isn't this basically what happens at the start of The Exorcist?

"The RCD is some sort of main fuse thingy. It shorts whenever it senses an imbalance. Mine needs changing too cos it's just one main switch, not lots of little switches, one for each fuse."
So... should I get it changed then? Does it sound like the cause of my problems? I don't see what else it could be.