Industrial Music

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I'd like to defend the more pretentiously "transgressive" industrial types (including TG and Coil but not including nazi strummers/sturmers) because they did get 13 year old me reading Burroughs, Artaud, DeSade etc., while leaving me enough anti-establishment snottiness to paint cocks on churches.

john eden

male pale and stale
I'd like to defend the more pretentiously "transgressive" industrial types (including TG and Coil but not including nazi strummers/sturmers) because they did get 13 year old me reading Burroughs, Artaud, DeSade etc., while leaving me enough anti-establishment snottiness to paint cocks on churches.

I think this is a really good summary actually!

Why a like all this stuff and still have a huge affection for it isn't because of the records or the noise but just that, in a pre-internet era, it opened so many doors and exposed you to so many possibilities.

franz

Tell me more about this band. I remember hearing a track I liked but I've no idea what it was. Also, did their stuff come out on vinyl and is it hard to get? Cheers.

there was a nice writeup about them in the wire a while back... was trying to track down the article online, but no luck. http://www.thewire.co.uk/issues/269/

there seems to be some videos online of more conceptual based performance stuff tho. some of it is def. more in a post-punk vein but still worth looking into.
http://nightmarezonesounds.blogspot.com/2009/01/die-tdliche-doris.html

i swear a bunch of their albums were around online to download, but i can't remember where. as per vinyl, i would say: highly unlikely you'll find much.

massrock

This Shit will Fuck U Up

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

massrock

Sent to Destroy

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ahaha, oh dear...while I like a lot of industrial music, those videos are a good explanation of why I've never been to an actual industrial night per se: the expectation that you have to dress and dance like a complete knob end.

massrock

Sozialistisches Patienten Kollektiv (SPK)

Fairlights, reel-to-reels and angle-grinders. It's not a bad look.

A-22501-1146501368.jpeg

This is very good.

polystyle

You got it Massrock

I still do not think the idea of Swans would not have um , formed in one Gira's mind if he hadn't gotten some carved meat on him during SPK @ CBGB's

Leo

cold cave getting lots of their gigs canceled here in the states after adding boyd rice as opener. haven't heard from him in years, but i guess it's hard to shake the reputation as a fascist/racist/misogynist once you've tried it on for size, regardless of whether or not it was real or a pose.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Speaking of which I was trying to find that mad Current 93 cartoon with Noddy crucified and a load of sinister goblins leering at him, but I found this instead:

cov_god.jpg

Artist: Current 93
Title: God Bothering
Label: Beta-lactam Ring
Format: LP
Catalog #: BlRR00666$
Condition: post-agnostic
Price: $666

Description:
Special Unlimited Edition of LPs pressed in coloured vinyl that is the exact shade of brown as the ponies on the lid of Dave's favourite biscuit tin. Each album comes with a specially created sigil made from crumpled roach papers, sperm collected from the used condoms on Hastings beach, and hair and nail clippings from the fat bloke who plays the guitar on this one - there's plenty of it, too, as he grooms himself thoroughly every saturday before setting of for Slimelight. [...]

continues here:

http://blrrrecords.com/index.html#current93

As seen today in the Throbbing Gristle fan page on Facebook:

industrial.jpg

attachment.php

Or Hitler And The Spastic Fuckers, &c. &c. ad nauseam.

droid

I think this is a really good summary actually!

Why a like all this stuff and still have a huge affection for it isn't because of the records or the noise but just that, in a pre-internet era, it opened so many doors and exposed you to so many possibilities.

Craner - you've missed your cue!

john eden

male pale and stale
England's Hidden Reverse has been republished. It's still good - a thorough account of Coil, Nurse With Wound and Current 93.

Rereading it now, it's striking how wretched a lot of the early days of that stuff sounds now (the social side of it).

I'm must be getting old.

(I'm glad I'm getting old, it's better than going mental or destroying yourself on drugs or death.)