version

We await the full report

p.s. why did version delete some great posts on the last page? too revealing?

I don't like giving away too much personal information online, but sometimes get carried away and do then regret it and delete it. I also have a habit of just trimming the fat constantly and rereading things I've said and thinking they're unnecessary.

version

I'll try to keep a lid on it, it is annoying for people if they respond to something then half the thread disappears and they look like they're talking to a ghost.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I wonder if drug use trends can be traced to economic conditions, as apparently hair-length can be.

Could acid be something people use in less economically sketchy times?

Something about our society now - coffee on every corner, mattress companies sponsoring podcasts, cocaine (and apparently crack) the drugs de jour... Thing aren't getting better, they're going to get worse, no room for naivety or utopianism.

That's the thing about a lot of 90s music, as opposed to 80s music. Like 60s music, a lot of it now sounds quaint and naive.

luka

I wonder if drug use trends can be traced to economic conditions, as apparently hair-length can be.

Something about our society now - coffee on every corner, mattress companies sponsoring podcasts, cocaine (and apparently crack) the drugs de jour... Thing aren't getting better, they're going to get worse, no room for naivety or utopianism.

That's the thing about a lot of 90s music, as opposed to 80s music. Like 60s music, a lot of it now sounds quaint and naive.

'90s saw a lot of recessions. The utopianism was a product of the late '80s carried through. There are waves, high tides and corresponding retreats and ebbings away but not caused by economic factors. It's not that simple imo. There may well be common factors underlying both trends in culture and trends in economics (the cantos argues this very point) but there is no causal relationship

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
you lot are mad. E is a posh mans drug, always has been. either speed or acid always.

E has made clubbers into the deadbeat zombies that that phil hartnal orbital bloke said in Bliss Blogger's book. Loads of young kids were telling me that face recognition and ID scanning in clubs is alright and even a queer poc was 'the government isn't gonna confiscate your ket!' as if drugs have anything to do with face recognition.

E becomes the end rather than a means to an end. Once I got all I wanted out of E i left it totally. If I kept chasing pleasure (granted it never did a huge amount for me unless i triple dropped) E would very easily become the end. It's definitely a morish drug, it's only work that puts off people from caning it, and the comedown obviously.

E was like £20 a pop in acid house times. Even in the 2nd explosion of good stuff around 2009-11 half a gram was £25 min.

A lot of what gets marketed as really rushy pills is a bit of mdma with speed. it's the speed that makes people go nutty - mdma is really quite tranquile an serine. i even nearly fell for a girl who i had absolutely zero interest in once on mandy. horrible.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty

places like Switzerland have big drug problems as we type too. uber rich middle to upper class kids on all kinds of shit every week. Zurich has it's 'needle park' right outside of the main train station. albeit they're on much higher quality shit than most of us are used to. acid and psychs are definitely around too, i think the deep web/modern techies/silicon valley types/burning man play a big role in this, but it tends to be the reserve of the higher educated... maybe it always was? too many moving parts to really grasp it. there's definitely a naivete to psych inspired stuff, and as was discussed in a few other threads over the last year or so, a lot of it hasn't dated well at all. but there's something to it, man. some of it still stands as the highest art we dumb humans ever reached imho. all i know is that i fkn felt those tracks the other day

re: the 90s

yeah that's the thing i think is important to remember, there was bad shit going on then too, but somehow people were in a different headspace, they had fight in em. since sometime around the millenium that's ended. i mean, thatcher was only just out of office. poll tax. gulf war. 80s residue. gazza's tears & loads more... but somehow the stars aligned, and for a good half decade or more which started before the 90s obv, there was an unprescedented creative boom with an attitude i don't know if we're likely to see again, any time soon at least. not from the well trained blobs of screen addicted flesh n bone younger than us anyway. it requires that fight, a zest for life, a rebeliousness which has been thoroughly kicked out of even the angriest of people and all that's left is us being turned against each other in an endless & hollow tribal feud. i think it's all very well orchestrated myself, but i don't wanna derail the thread with any of that. reality right now is an actual headfuck if you're paying the slightest bit of attention. it pushes and pulls us against our will in all kinds of weird and awkward directions that deep down in our guts we know we should be fighting against, but what exactly is it? in the 90s it was pretty straight forward. the narrative was laid out nice and clear. that poll tax riot video posted the other day in the gilets jaunes thread shows you how people were looking out for each other back then. now people who show up to marches are there to get their witty signs posted and liked on instagram. fear is winning. confusion is the name of the game.

luka

I think the third wave of psychedelia is coming back next year. I don't think the young are a lost cause. Barty and other-life are goingbto become world famous providing the soundtrack to our dreams. All this against an increasingly dystopian geopolitcal and environmental backdrop.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
lot of dockers and punks and working class gays and even what gets stereotyped as the class war macho man (not people in the org obvs) were into acid in the 80s and early 90s.

blissblog says that colin dale's knowledge was v sober but from what ive read and what heads used to tell me it was microdots that were hugely going around there, all to that mix of teutonic and detroit stuff. granted they could be wrong or bliss could have gone on an off night or the introspection of acid was just not very apparent to him - who knows.

They say that one of the primary gay clubs (trade) which was playing some hardcore and hardcore acid in 92-93 literally had some kind of ordering service once you walked in, who knows. would have been nuts to go there by all accounts though, sounds like a properly weirdo crowd, in a good way... something like it started at 2 AM and finished at 10 AM - -12 PM and so legend has it it was that 6-10 slot where it got very deep and dark, who knows...

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's hard to be into drugs if you've got cops breathing down your neck day and night. what patty said about smartphones and that. of course the burning man types can do acid some of them are even cops...

version

I think the third wave of psychedelia is coming back next year. I don't think the young are a lost cause. Barty and other-life are goingbto become world famous providing the soundtrack to our dreams. All this against an increasingly dystopian geopolitcal and environmental backdrop.

If you look at the '60s then the '90s, it suggests that it moves in thirty year cycles so the '20s could well be the third wave. It's already creeping into hip-hop (Travis Scott, Rocky).

droid

The economics of the drug trade are a primary driver. IIRC acid dried up after 1996 due to some key arrests with MDMA replacing it in labs. When William Pickard was arrested in 2000 there was a 95% decrease of LSD availability in the US for about 2 years.

Something similar happened in the mid-late 00's when tighter controls on safrole were enacted. This led to an increase in coke production and the legal high plague.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
yeah that saffrole thing definitely led to a drop in ecstasy quality. more often than not if your md or pills smell like dandelion and burdock you're (except third) in for a good night. and similarly right now in the uk people are taking higher quality and lower cost coke because it's the cutting agents which are being controlled.

version

There was that period when everyone seemed to be taking mephedrone instead of MDMA too; I think that was around the time Droid mentioned.

luka

The economics of the drug trade are a primary driver. IIRC acid dried up after 1996 due to some key arrests with MDMA replacing it in labs. When William Pickard was arrested in 2000 there was a 95% decrease of LSD availability in the US for about 2 years.

Something similar happened in the mid-late 00's when an tighter controls on safrole were enacted. This led to an increase in coke production and the legal high plague.

That's a very different argument to the one corpse was making. The extent to which any of this can be controlled/influenced/gamed (eg the late 90s counter revolution and return to booze booze tits lager booze gak) is not at all clear to me.
The desires of people en masse clearly are coordinated, clearly synced to a significant degree but why?