Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Iraq - Still, In Fact, Going On

via Abu M:

Bovine Intervention

found this particularly interesting, having had a fair bit of experience myself w/milking cows.

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    via Abu M:

Bovine Intervention

found this particularly interesting, having had a fair bit of experience myself w/milking cows.
    nice one, P.

elsewhere, Reidar Visser and Peter Galbraith won't be exchanging cards this holiday, i fear.

Galbraith can abscond to gubernatorial ambitions in Vermont and enter a multi-million lawsuit against DNO [Norwegian oil company] in London. Around the world, there will always be takers for his simple message of ethnic decentralisation as the universal tool for solving political conflict...Accordingly, instead of taking their cues from Galbraith (who is now presumably basking in perfect “congruence” in Townshend, Vermont) both the Kurds and DNO would stand to gain a lot from adjusting their policies to the new realities in Baghdad. Above all, this would mean realising that Iraqi Shiites are not particularly interested in symmetrical federalism for Iraq. True, there are Shiite sectarians today, just like there were anti-Shiite bigots during the Baath. But the irreducible minimum on which all parties south of Kurdistan can agree (and something which an alarming number of Western analysts still just cannot seem to get their head around) is a consensus position on Iraq as a unified territorial shell. Today, the real tension in the Shiite Islamist camp is between Shiite chauvinists who pay lip service to the idea of Iraqi nationalism and Shiites who are genuine Iraqi nationalists – and not so much between centralists and separatists (even ISCI now seems to have given up its federalism ambitions, if perhaps somewhat reluctantly).
    (1)

Finally, in a welcome development, the editorial board of the NYT has ruled that Galbraith did indeed have a conflict of interest which should have been disclosed when he wrote op-eds in the paper in favour of the soft partition policy in Iraq. This should make it clear once and for all that there is more to this case than the primitive Norwegian “conspiracy” alleged by some Vermont newspapers, according to which the whole affair has been fabricated by all-powerful Norwegian trolls bent on revenge for the Eide/Galbraith dispute in Afghanistan.
    (2)

shameful to hear the galbraith accusations, but there should be a list of companies and people and pundits that are in positions to reap rewards from contracts at this point. if I'm hearing just one name im very skeptical

Quote Originally Posted by adruu View Post
    shameful to hear the galbraith accusations, but there should be a list of companies and people and pundits that are in positions to reap rewards from contracts at this point. if I'm hearing just one name im very skeptical
    i hear ya but i must be honest the only reason i posted was i'm interested in what Visser says wrt PG in general, for me the money quote up above is

But the irreducible minimum on which all parties south of Kurdistan can agree (and something which an alarming number of Western analysts still just cannot seem to get their head around) is a consensus position on Iraq as a unified territorial shell.
    - this is certainly a line you can associate w PG.

so just flagging up a (appropriate) dig at PG here, but, please, you have at other matters if you want - nothing to do w needing to be skeptical

Anyone else finding the Iraq Enquiry absolutely enthralling?

All the old names and accusations and back room intrigue oozing out again. It's a world I still live in, it's gripping to me.

I am the man who imported the Douglas Feith book in hardback and read it back to front, including the extensive footnotes. Good times!

this story is just unbelievable

British Man Held for Fraud in Iraq Bomb Detectors

not that a war profiteer swindled the Iraqi govt. I mean, no surprise there. no, it's what he was swindling them with. selling overpriced, substandard equipment is a time-honored war profiteer tradition but usually they have to least pretend that what they're selling isn't worthless garbage. to wit:

The ADE 651 is a hand-held wand with no batteries or internal electronic components, ostensibly powered by the static electricity of the user, who needs to walk in place to charge it...The Times of London quoted Mr. McCormick in November as saying that the device’s technology was similar to that of dowsing or divining rods [me, aside: there is no "technology" of dowsing rods. they're just Y-shaped branches FFS! it's pseudoscientific, spurious nonsense that's failed badly in every study ever done on it. anyway...] used to find water. “We have been dealing with doubters for 10 years,” he said. “One of the problems we have is that the machine does look primitive. We are working on a new model that has flashing lights...Shortly after the arrest on Friday, the BBC reported that it had arranged a lab test of the device and found that its bomb-detection component was an electronic merchandise tag of the sort used to prevent shoplifting.
    yes, flashing lights should fix things right up. what a wanker. I really hope dude goes to prison for a good long while. not even for the $85 million he prised out of the Iraqi govt so much as the hundreds of Iraqi injuries & deaths he's at least partially responsible for with his placebo bomb "detectors".

droid Guest

'Well'?

If by that you mean he betrayed no sign of remorse or compassion for his victims and continued to lie through his teeth despite overwhelming evidence of his crimes - then I agree.

Monbiots bounty idea is a good one. He should change it to 'dead or alive' though.

Anyone interested in the details of WMD should read this book by the way:

As for the UN, two other essentials:

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    his victims
    ?

A history of the Iraq war, told entirely in lies
    By Sam Smith

All text is verbatim from senior Bush Administration officials and advisers. In places, tenses have been changed for clarity.

Once again, we were defending both ourselves and the safety and survival of civilization itself. September 11 signaled the arrival of an entirely different era. We faced perils we had never thought about, perils we had never seen before. For decades, terrorists had waged war against this country. Now, under the leadership of President Bush, America would wage war against them. It was a struggle between good and it was a struggle between evil.

It was absolutely clear that the number-one threat facing America was from Saddam Hussein. We know that Iraq and Al Qaeda had high-level contacts that went back a decade. We learned that Iraq had trained Al Qaeda members in bomb making and deadly gases. The regime had long-standing and continuing ties to terrorist organizations. Iraq and Al Qaeda had discussed safe-haven opportunities in Iraq. Iraqi officials denied accusations of ties with Al Qaeda. These denials simply were not credible. You couldn't distinguish between Al Qaeda and Saddam when you talked about the war on terror.

Cheap.

I recommend Doug Feith's book as a counterbalance, heavily foot-noted.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Cheap.
    & cheerful!