Forgotten or lost or minor jungle classics 93-94

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
2 from the Wells brothers who ran Basement Records. these are both from '94-95 tho, a bit after their jungle tekno heyday:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DMS & the Boneman X (associated w/Production House I think), this one really kicks in around the 2:25 mark:

padraig (u.s.)

on the 90s R&B sampling tip

Chuck E - Smokin a Blunt:

Dem 2 Ruff - Nice Tune (Toni Braxton! remember her?):

DJ Gunshot - dude had some releases on No U-Turn that are also killer but this great as well, pretty much the master of 90s R& B jungle I reckon:

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
people may know this one but what the hell. Foul Play under a different name. utterly genius, utterly alien, beamed down to us from prophets in the year 3984. tunes like this make me OK w/Foul Play topping 4 Hero in the junglist auteur poll. the vocal sample is from "Tears".

Seems impossible that this could hail from 1993/4. Scarily ahead of its and any time, and makes the argument that jungle is still the biggest future shock there's been.

adruu

This Is It
no youtubes for these...since when did everyone rip their collections for youtube anyway?

undercover elephant - jellyhead
last track on the untold - back to nam ep
dig the nu breed ep on labello blanco (spesh any dj by smokey joe)

padraig (u.s.)

no youtubes for these...since when did everyone rip their collections for youtube anyway?

oh yes, much better for the tunes to wallow away in obscurity. cos we couldn't have people actually listening to them could we? the horror.

now that that's cleared up

long before "Super Sharp Shooter":

Luna-C's lone (& fantastic) stab at darkside:

Now then…

I've got a nasty feeling viewing this thread will result in rampant paypal/discogs interplay, followed by several weeks of frugal housekeeping.

a dj search Flex fm favourite:

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

Now then…

SDR & Subsonic amen pureness.

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Possibly not lost or forgotten, certainly classic if, maybe, minor. Love this!

craner

Beast of Burden
Waaaah!

craner

Beast of Burden
Ridiculous tune.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
So check this motherf***ing hyperthermic shit out, bwoy:

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

Catbwoy

Luna-C's lone (& fantastic) stab at darkside:

Holy crap that's good.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
DMS & the Boneman X (associated w/Production House I think), this one really kicks in around the 2:25 mark:

That's a really different direction from any I've heard, especially from about 3:30 mins onwards. Pretty stunning.

bob effect

somnambulist

bassnation

the abyss
So check this motherf***ing hyperthermic shit out, bwoy:

yes, liking that one very much!

this pascal & sponge tune is wicked too - pretty mental off-kilter breakbeat:

None of these are ever forgotten at my yard. It's nice to share :)

Perfect Saturday morning music. The ever-present MDMA really kicks in at 3.08..

My Dillinja percy, does weird and wonderful things with Kim Mazelle's "Useless".
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Not sure if this is lost and it certainly wasn't minor in its day. Unfortunately this format simply can't convey the bass weight..

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

holy shit! it's like "Finest Illusion" meets "Monarch of the Glenn"! it's like a mythical one-off between Oliver Lieb & Bizzy B! it's...it's...words fail me:

stunning atmospheric darkside from Mark Pritchard (who, seriously, is one of those dudes who seems like he can do no wrong) & Dom Fripp (who had some other darkside classics in collab w/Tango). I've no idea why this is so obscure. the Original Mix is even better:

yet another little-known Dillinja stormer - man he had some depth thru '93-95 there, seems like he made a whole mess of killer tunes - minor classics all - that no one heard before hitting it big w/all the Metalheadz stuff. the flip is great as well:

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Is anyone familiar with 'Arkines Lost' by Canopy & Matrix? Brilliantly sinister track featuring one the most haunting vocal samples I've ever heard.

It was included in the 1994 segment of the 'Peelennium' but there's a real dearth of info. about the record and its producers on the web. Managed to download an MP3 but the dodgy sound quality suggests that the person who uploaded it owns a tape of the Peel show, not the 12" vinyl.

I'm dead excited to see this one mentioned. Its been about number two on my ultimate wants list for aaagggees now. I must have heard it about three times on Peel, when it came out & then in the Peelennium. I even noted the address down at the time but it was one of those I never quite got round to sending the money for, bqack in my penniless student days...regret it now :eek: The EP is called "Rough Business" btw & it came out in '95.

I've recently been trying to kill off a good chunk of my wants list & dug the address out again & double-checked the info online...its a Wolverhampton one, from a label called Space, which is based at a recording studio that seems to still be there. The label has an entry on Discogs, but the record hasn't. They did stuff back a few years from this one & almost as soon as I twigged the label, I picked up a fairly ropey vocal breakbeat thing on it (with a beautiful company sleeve), in a shop not so far from me. Still no sign of this one though...I have innocently wondered if its an early one by the well-known Matrix chap, but I don't know enough about that era of the music & I would imagine that if it was, there'd be a bit more about it online by now. I've actually been thinking about ringing the studio/trekking down to the area for a little record hunt...how sad am I?!!

If you fancy posting the ropey MP3, I still haven't got a copy :)