UK in class divide shocker

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8160052.stm

I guess we've been over most of this 17 times before here.

On the other hand, it seems to me like this sort of issue is actually getting aired in mainstream politics more often now, which is kind of interesting. The language is still 'opportunity' and 'advantage' rather than 'class war' and 'hegemony', but it seems like an improvement on the situation five years ago where it was sort of assumed that because a respectable number of bright middle class kids from nicer state schools could get to Oxbridge as well as Old Etonians we'd moved into some sort of utopian classless society and anyone to whom this didn't apply was sort of politely ignored...

john eden

male pale and stale
I guess this is fairly stark, but not exactly surprising:

_46093257_social_mobil_466.gif

Seems like a strange time to get into this - there will be fuck all resources available to do anything about it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
On the other hand, it seems to me like this sort of issue is actually getting aired in mainstream politics more often now, which is kind of interesting. The language is still 'opportunity' and 'advantage' rather than 'class war' and 'hegemony', but it seems like an improvement on the situation five years ago where it was sort of assumed that because a respectable number of bright middle class kids from nicer state schools could get to Oxbridge as well as Old Etonians we'd moved into some sort of utopian classless society and anyone to whom this didn't apply was sort of politely ignored...

it's amazing (and depressing) how many (often supposedly left-leaning...though inevitably Guardian readers) people buy into the idea that things are fundamentally fair in the UK, though. As I get older, the more that becomes a dividing line between people whose opinions/motivations I can trust and those (even if friends for other reasons) I can't. One's very basic politics are so pivotal to who one is.

swears

preppy-kei
It's just genetics, the smart people get good jobs and can afford to send their equally smart kids to private school.

poetix

we murder to dissect
"The report includes...help for parents to move their children out of under-performing schools"

Let's create more sink schools! Fantastic idea!

poetix

we murder to dissect
"...better careers advice raising pupils' aspirations..."

Will the day ever arrive when we are finally through with this puddle-brained PR-driven cloud-cuckoo-land view of the world, where you can rectify decades of systematically shitting on people by employing a small army of caring professionals to improve their self-esteem?

Thing is, for some individual X who gets encouraged at the right point by the right person, it might well be true that they raise their sights, differentiate themselves from others around them, and have a better life as a result. But this is the same as helping individual X get out of an "under-performing school" (that is, a school full of "under-performing" pupils). It can only ever work for a handful of people at a time, a few lucky winners who get to "escape" while everyone else gets blamed for their no doubt congenital indigence and lack of gumption. Good for individual X (and best of luck to him or her) but what are you going to do about the real problem?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
that horrible cunt Quentin Letts (Daily Mail twat) was on the Beeb the other day trying to argue against all this.

what a fucking piece of shit, the thick cock.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
"The (Tory) report says council estates "deliver a risible return on assets". "

Everyone has to vote Labour in 2010. It's a sacrifice, but it has to be done. I think people have forgotten what the Tories are actually like in power - understandably, as it has the qualities of a barely-believable nightmare.

DannyL

Wild Horses
"The (Tory) report says council estates "deliver a risible return on assets". "

Everyone has to vote Labour in 2010. It's a sacrifice, but it has to be done. I think people have forgotten what the Tories are actually like in power - understandably, as it has the qualities of a barely-believable nightmare.

Reading that article convinces me. Jesus fucking christ.