Any Php Heads in here?

Lethem

Interloper out 1st of Oct
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone on the forum has any skills at using PhP?

I want to create a web page that is similar to this.

http://dl.nin.com/theslip/signup

So that I can collect peoples emails when I release my next EP.

Does anyone know how I would go about setting this up, I have no idea how to create a PhP database, all i know is that i need to download mysql.

If anyone can help me out I would be most grateful and pay you with free music and beer if you live in London!

Cheers

Lewis

wise

bare BARE BONES
Hi Lethem, i know a bit of php and i'm looking to learn more so would definitely be up for taking this on. Shouldn't be too hard.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Not great on PHP (it's a bit shit to be honest) in particular, but I do web development so I'm in the right area.
I have no idea what level you are coming to this at, but downloading mysql is not going to help I'm afraid. You can put as many databases as you like on your computer, but no-one will be able to access them. You need some web hosting, and a domain name. Oh and somewhere to host the EP as well, assuming the idea is people get to download it if they give an email address.
It's all pretty straightforward though. If Wise doesn't sort you out let me know and I can knock something together in an hour or two.

Lethem

Cheers guys, I don't know much about PhP so ever little helps.

i do know that i need webspace and a server though :p

Cheers

lewis

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Haha ok, wasn't trying to take the piss, I've been asked thing like this before from people who didn't.
You should be able to do this without paying anything for hosting by the way. Just need to pay for a domain name (actually you could skip this too, but it's only £10). Just stick the MP3s on SoundCloud and make them private, quick email input form on a free hosting site, bit of code to grant access to the emails that get submitted. Sorted.

Lethem

Wow you make it sound so simple.

Basically I have a graphics team creating me some really nice artwork For the Interloper EP (which is forthcoming) and I am going to re-brand Highbury dub (because the art work is lacking).

I plan on having a page showcasing the artwork, saying thanks to the people who have helped me out and a means distributed the music to whoever downloads it. They input there email and confirm it. They then get an email with a download link on it with the music.

I'm going to get a domain name soon. hopefully everything will look really slick.

Cool thing about this is its all going to be free so hopefully the people who have done art for me and helped me out technically will get some love from this.

Plan B

Bandcamp does all this for me, but I would rather not share the email information with Bandcamp.

I intend to keep that information for myself, build a mailing list so that i can promote future projects and my forthcoming music night.

So any help I can get the better!

Lewis

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Well it is very simple to be honest. There's a crazy number of ways this kind of thing can be accomplished these days, storage and bandwidth are just so cheap.
Personally I'd host it the basic page + email form on heroku.com (free, but Ruby rather than PHP), and the actual MP3s on drop.io (also free) or similar. You could have the whole thing running in an hour.

poetix

we murder to dissect
Somewhere there has to be a MySQL database server running that you can create a database with tables on, and run queries to put data into those tables and get it out again. Lots of hosting providers will provide you with such a thing; Dreamhost, who host codepoetics.com, give you as many as databases you like within reason. If you have root on a server all of your very own, you can of course just install MySQL on it and run it yourself.

If that's really a problem to sort out, you could also get a PHP script to just append email addresses to a text file somewhere on the web server that you have read/write access to.