Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much music (that you actually want to listen to) do you get to a day?

i feel truly guilty about how much music i have and am dying to hear but have not -- it's a LOT. to understate. i think i will start playing 4 or 5 albums simultaneously so i can get through the mountains and mountains of it faster.

varies but probably about two hours

commute is about an hour each way, but sometimes I read a book. decks are in the living room here so don't always get a chance to cane the vinyl.

will stick on the odd cd here and there when cooking or cleaning but that is usually subject to a bit of negotiation.

that said I have just spent a good 2 or 3 hours playing tunes tonight

what is interesting is that "listening to music" to most people is not an activity in and of itself -- sitting in front of speakers focused and with intent -- and it's always a more or less a background activity. but there is much amazing music which demands 100% of your attention, without which its rewards can not be revealed in full.

a lot of 20th century classical is like this, as is a lot of jazz. and top notch electronic music like Pan Sonic for instance, i think one should stop everything else and give it everything.

when i work work i do get to listen to music all day... but when designing or drawing it's usually only a certain segment of any genre that gets rinsed... and some genres more than others.

when i'm working on dj and music stuff i really miss listening to music... because i only hear snippets of thousands of tracks and of course what i'm working on repeatedly, over and over... it can be a bit maddening.

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    what is interesting is that "listening to music" to most people is not an activity in and of itself -- sitting in front of speakers focused and with intent -- and it's always a more or less a background activity. but there is much amazing music which demands 100% of your attention, without which its rewards can not be revealed in full.
    This is what I miss the most. I try to explain to Mrs Diddley that is like watching a film, you have to gave it some attention and allow the musical plot to unfold. I call it attentive listening. Its one of the reasons I find early morning listening on headphones so absorbing cos there's no interuptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang Diddley View Post
    This is what I miss the most. I try to explain to Mrs Diddley that is like watching a film, you have to gave it some attention and allow the musical plot to unfold. I call it attentive listening. Its one of the reasons I find early morning listening on headphones so absorbing cos there's no interuptions.
    and she just rolls her eyes at you with the nuum joke of the day amirite?

i don't think any dance music demands undivided attention by the way, maybe with a FEW, very few exceptions (for instance if you consider Mika Vainio "dance music"). perhaps you get more out of it with more focused listening, but it does not REQUIRE it -- its flexibiliy for enjoyment in different situations ofcourse a plus, and i'm not slagging dance music off as "unserious" or whatever bullshit.
    Last edited by zhao; 07-08-2009 at 08:03 AM.

I suppose there two different types of listening though...one where you're filtering through stuff to find the stuff that resonates and then when your listening to something properly when you think it deserves your undivided attention

Quote Originally Posted by DJ PIMP View Post
    6-10 hours.

Though occasionally thats one track on repeat all day if I'm really feeling it.
    mad thread. most days i dont play any music. whats the point. put it on when i feel like it about once a week.

obviously not taking into account all the "choon" videos.

i dont listen to those it's just flyposting.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i dont listen to those it's just flyposting.
    Suddenly your approach to my hip hop thread makes sense

Lately I've been listening to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks and not so much music. Tends to come and go, and to come particularly when I'm smoking mad Ls