How much music (that you actually want to listen to) do you get to a day?

alex

Do not read this.
Not talking about background music @ work, or when you hear some faint grime coming from the back of the bus. Im talking, in your element, lovely tunes you have picked, up at a nice level, listening...

How many hours? or how many hours you are not?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Usually all day, although most of the time it's just in the background. I tend to get jobs where I'm allowed to listen to music...

To be honest it's better when I can't listen to music all the time, makes it more valuable to me.

alex

Do not read this.
yea see I cant listen to music in my current job, which is acutally a blessing, because like gumdrops I cant really concentrate with it on.

The fucking fleshwaste who I was working with at my old job used to insist on having the radio on, either Radio 1 or Kiss 100.00 (sometimes even heart). Because she had come back to the company from a shipping line so she had a bag of chips all over her shoulder's, so I wasnt even allowed 1xtra from time to time...

Needless to say that job was quickly dissmissed..lasted about a year before I called her a fat cunt & left mind...

But that job actually used to make me think like "rr god, I hate you so much & everything you like, this is what is better!" you know? I used to go home & cry into my Burial E.P. & Hug flat eric....

Usually on the way to/from work on headphones, which is ~45-60min each way and 1-2 album lengths during the evening. Music at work is just too frustrating with too many interruptions and limited concentration.

Diss04

threads get mangled
well...

i work from 10 til 6ish so that's eight hours of music right there add to that and hour's worth of iPod on the train there and back so that's ten...

then about 2 or 3 hours worth when i'm on my laptop before bedtime

so pretty much all day long

Client Eastwood

Not talking about background music @ work, or when you hear some faint grime coming from the back of the bus. Im talking, in your element, lovely tunes you have picked, up at a nice level, listening...

How many hours? or how many hours you are not?

Walk to work - 1/2 - headphone
Sometime back home or bus - 1/2 - hp
Usually 1 hour at home of on speakers
Sometime I wake up early in the morning about 4 and cant sleep and have a listen for about 1 hour - hp

I can listen at work but it distracts me if I need to concentrate. If im writings docs im plugged in.

Id say about 3-4 hours on average.

Leo

one hour a day average, sometimes maybe two. usually at night, after dinner and before "the daily show with jon stewart."

sometimes it gets frustrating when you get a bunch of new music and don't have the time to listen to it all. i get all indecisive about what to play in the little time there is.

CrowleyHead

My only issue with music is I like to check out my recommended on Last.FM at least once a week... 'cause sometimes, they update with new artists, and it's bands/people I've been meaning to get into for years but never got around to. Or people I missed out on.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Rinse FM is on in my house basically whenever I'm doing something it wouldn't interfere with (watching telly, reading, etc.).

I can work and listen to iPod (I am doing it right now) but I can't read and listen to music simultaneously at all. Actually sometimes I find it hard to have conversations and listen to (good) music at the same time too. Both require too much attention.

Try continue having your conversation with someone when P Money's "Left The Room" comes on. It's not going to happen.

D

droid

2-2 and 1/2 hours on the bus.
6 or so hours in work.
Headphones or radio when eating/cleaning etc...
Used to do an hour or so mixing a night but only manage that once or twice a week now.

nochexxx

harco pronting
f-all tbh.

as well as reading dissensus i tend to listen to other peoples records in small spurts as an anecdote to producing. i've been wondering whether procurring all this music really is necesessary.

it does make more sense however after getting blatted and listening to music at considerable volume.

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
Too much basically. I listen to stuff I want to hear all day every day at work so try and give myself breaks to recalibrate my ears, for want of a better word.
Ditching the ipod on the way to/from work helped loads in this respect.

I've been listening to music ever since I woke up this morning at around 8am...it is a day off for me, but i'd say 9 hours is a healthy amount of music consumption.

zhao

there are no accidents
i feel truly guilty about how much music i have and am dying to hear but have not -- it's a LOT. to understate. i think i will start playing 4 or 5 albums simultaneously so i can get through the mountains and mountains of it faster.

john eden

male pale and stale
varies but probably about two hours

commute is about an hour each way, but sometimes I read a book. decks are in the living room here so don't always get a chance to cane the vinyl.

will stick on the odd cd here and there when cooking or cleaning but that is usually subject to a bit of negotiation.

that said I have just spent a good 2 or 3 hours playing tunes tonight :cool:

zhao

there are no accidents
what is interesting is that "listening to music" to most people is not an activity in and of itself -- sitting in front of speakers focused and with intent -- and it's always a more or less a background activity. but there is much amazing music which demands 100% of your attention, without which its rewards can not be revealed in full.

a lot of 20th century classical is like this, as is a lot of jazz. and top notch electronic music like Pan Sonic for instance, i think one should stop everything else and give it everything.

when i work work i do get to listen to music all day... but when designing or drawing it's usually only a certain segment of any genre that gets rinsed... and some genres more than others.

when i'm working on dj and music stuff i really miss listening to music... because i only hear snippets of thousands of tracks and of course what i'm working on repeatedly, over and over... it can be a bit maddening.

Client Eastwood

what is interesting is that "listening to music" to most people is not an activity in and of itself -- sitting in front of speakers focused and with intent -- and it's always a more or less a background activity. but there is much amazing music which demands 100% of your attention, without which its rewards can not be revealed in full.

This is what I miss the most. I try to explain to Mrs Diddley that is like watching a film, you have to gave it some attention and allow the musical plot to unfold. I call it attentive listening. Its one of the reasons I find early morning listening on headphones so absorbing cos there's no interuptions.

zhao

there are no accidents
This is what I miss the most. I try to explain to Mrs Diddley that is like watching a film, you have to gave it some attention and allow the musical plot to unfold. I call it attentive listening. Its one of the reasons I find early morning listening on headphones so absorbing cos there's no interuptions.

and she just rolls her eyes at you with the nuum joke of the day amirite? :D

i don't think any dance music demands undivided attention by the way, maybe with a FEW, very few exceptions (for instance if you consider Mika Vainio "dance music"). perhaps you get more out of it with more focused listening, but it does not REQUIRE it -- its flexibiliy for enjoyment in different situations ofcourse a plus, and i'm not slagging dance music off as "unserious" or whatever bullshit.

Last edited: