An Englishman In New York part 27

Leo

I'm a whole pie kinda guy anyway.
One of my friends is a lecturer at Rutgers university - how difficult would it be for him to get into New York and meet up with us?

should be about an hour on the train, check www.njtransit.com for service from new brunswick to nyc. i assume he's at the main new brunswick campus and not the camdem or newark campuses. newark is even closer to nyc, camdem is pretty far (philadelphia, basically.)

zhao

there are no accidents
had the best thin crust garlic shrimp last time i was in NY. that thing was deLIcious. but this italian girl i was hanging out with told me the best pies are in Jersey.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
or you could go to New Brunswick and eat at the grease trucks

that is amazing. utterly amazing.

when i was in NYC/Jersey for about ten days i didn't end up making any specific pizza pilgrimages - i had planned to after reading a TONY feature on ten of their fave joints - but did very much enjoy very good quality, simple slices from random hole-in-the-walls. heavenly, unplanned pit-stops.
(sorry Rich, of no specific use but just saying as i'm sure the likes of Peter, Leo and Nomad might attest, food serendipity awaits. also i know you're a whole pie man.)

then i went to Italy and had pizza there.

and then i returned to northwest England :eek:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"..or you could go to New Brunswick and eat at the grease trucks"
I asked my friend if he'd ever been there and he replied:

"i hadn't, but seeing as they have their own wikipedia page, i had a fat daryll today. it was ok. tasted like a chip butty."
Seems he went back for more today though

"I had the fat vava voom today. it too tasted like a chip butty."
I wouldn't put him down as a great foodie though so I'm still semi-intrigued.

Leo

i've never visited the grease trucks but assume you'd go for the experience, not the actual food. :)

petergunn

plywood violin
well, most grease sandwhiches do have french fries on em, so thus the chip butty comparison...

but

FAT VA-VA-VOOM
Cheese Steak, Mozzarrela Sticks, Bacon, F.F., Marinara Sauce.

FAT DARREL
Chicken Fingers, Mozzarrela Sticks, Marinara Sauce, F.F.

can't see how one could compare a plain ol french fry n ketchup sandwhich w/ the above...

i went to the grease trucks the one time i went to New Brunswick... i was really stoned and i have to say, it was a pretty great sandwhich... as an experience, eh... you eat in a parking lot surrounded by college students in a semi-grim town... nothing special there...

scottdisco

rip this joint please
well, most grease sandwhiches do have french fries on em, so thus the chip butty comparison...

but

FAT VA-VA-VOOM
Cheese Steak, Mozzarrela Sticks, Bacon, F.F., Marinara Sauce.

FAT DARREL
Chicken Fingers, Mozzarrela Sticks, Marinara Sauce, F.F.

ohh! niceness. reminds me a bit of Britain's newest biggest burger, on sale in Bristol: details here

can't see how one could compare a plain ol french fry n ketchup sandwhich w/ the above...

this isn't your characterisation of a chip butty is it?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Very soon now.... next question, is there a kind of equivalent magazine to Timeout for NY which comes out every week and has up to date listings?

polystyle

hey rich

The Village Voice comes out every Wed. , free and has many listings 9 live/ clubs/ movies/ free stuff /food
Time Out of course.

They're probably still cleaning up after Halloween in the West Village ...
Very nice clear day
Line of geese or something like them flying South in a lopsided V formation.
World Series and pumpkins

Last edited by a moderator:

polystyle

Should get you the stuff like New York Happenings Yahoo group ,
Flavorpill (weekly listings ) and Your Daily Events from FreeNYC , Brooklyn Vegan etc.
There is always quite a few things going on ...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Next time I go to New York I'm going with, or to meet, somebody who knows New York. That place is so overwhelming and confusing without any kind of point of reference. I imagine it's what London is like to people who don't know London.

polystyle

Peter Gun is here, I think Adruu's here still and rivet90210 is here till the 10th,
Nomad's upstate.
It's a nice time of year, turning towards winter.

Leo

Peter Gun is here, I think Adruu's here still and rivet90210 is here till the 10th,
Nomad's upstate.
It's a nice time of year, turning towards winter.

i'm here too, across the hudson river in hoboken!

polystyle's right, it's a great time of the year, but dress warmly. the days are nice (12-15 C) but nights can be chilly...like, three-layer (shirt-plus-sweater/hoody-plus-coat) chilly. too bad you weren't here last night to witness the celebration/chaos following the ny yankees world series win.