An Englishman In New York part 27

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
i'm here too, across the hudson river in hoboken!

polystyle's right, it's a great time of the year, but dress warmly. the days are nice (12-15 C) but nights can be chilly...like, three-layer (shirt-plus-sweater/hoody-plus-coat) chilly. too bad you weren't here last night to witness the celebration/chaos following the ny yankees world series win.

Also I think Secret Agent Gel is here, I met him once randomly at some thing where either he was spinning or another dissensus person was, can't remember.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Matt Mason and Shadetek live in New York too I'm pretty sure, although they don't seem to use this board anymore. Poisonous Darts wasn't New York, right? I guess I just assume that because of his ability to generate top 50 hip-hop themed lists based on virtually any number of very specific criteria. What is he? Boston?

petergunn

plywood violin
Matt Mason and Shadetek live in New York too I'm pretty sure, although they don't seem to use this board anymore. Poisonous Darts wasn't New York, right? I guess I just assume that because of his ability to generate top 50 hip-hop themed lists based on virtually any number of very specific criteria. What is he? Boston?

PD is in boston...

you can catch matt shadetek spinning at Dutty Artz events...

Secret Agent Gel is here trying to get like minded musicians using digital media together... next event at le poisson rouge on nov 16...

i am indeed here... spinning at APT on tues nov 17...

sickboy, re: NYC being too big, i think you just need goals... like i wanna go to art galleries or i wanna buy records or i wanna eat the best pizza... equiped with goals and the internet, NYC should be easy for english speakers...

ps. brooklyn vegan has GREAT music listings...

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
A Scotsman In New York

I'm heading out to NYC next week, 18th-26th. Here are things I'm looking to do, and my tastes in those areas, if anyone could offer info/knowledge it'd be much appreciated.

LOCATION: Staying at my sister's place just near Five Points. Anything worth checking out in that area?

FOOD: I'm up for anything from shitty fast food to fine dining. I plan to hit a decent restaurant each day, as well as a more takeaway type deal like a pizza place or sandwich shop. I reckon I'll give Katz a go, and rather shamefully look forward to trying fast food chains we don't have in the UK like Taco Bell, Chipotle etc (because I'm a total glutton). Any definitive recommendations for pizza? I'd also like to check out some Mexican & Japanese places. I've already had a look at NYmag & Time Out's picks for burgers, steaks etc, but any further recommendations would be welcome.

SHOPPING: I've got a few skate/clothing shops in kind like KCDC, Rival, DQM, Supreme etc. I'm not fussed about Nom De Guerre, Odin and the more high end stuff as I just don't have the cash for that. My girlfriend will be wanting to check out nice vintage & retro stores, and some of the bigger stores. Again, any insight on these is welcome!

SIGHTSEEING: What is and isn't worth doing? We'll no doubt hit a few museums as my girlfriend is a big art buff, I'm not sure if there are any hidden gems in the way of galleries and such that we should look out for though.

MUSIC/CLUBBING: In to anything from House, Techno, Hip Hop, Garage, keen to go out maybe one or two nights. My sister is more of a house/disco fan than me, and is recommending we go to Cielo on the 25th to Louie Vega's night, but my tastes are a little 'harder' than his usual fare. Doubt I'll be buying much music while I'm over but would still like to do a bit of browsing. Will drop by Turntable Lab and maybe check out Other Music too.

I've never been to the US before, so feel free to recommend any first timer experiences too. Please post how your trip went too IdleRich, would be nice to hear from a recent tourist's perspective too.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Still here at the moment (on Staten Island waiting for the ferry to take me back to Manhattan). Having a great time, cheers for all the tips. Things we've really enjoyed have been Coney Island (even though everything was closed - that kind of added to the experience - might not be for everyone though) and MOMA and just generally wandering around. Haven't done too much nightlife stuff 'cause, although the bars are nice, they're pretty much the same as where I spend most of my life in London except more expensive. Also, we've done so much walking I've been knackered by evening. Main tip from me would be walk around a lot 'cause then you see loads of stuff, but think about where you're going all the time 'cause it's easy to get on the right road and walk for forty minutes in the wrong direction. Williamsburg is nice (Bedford Avenue and around) and our hotel (Hotel Jane) is awesome, looks like the place in Barton Fink - loads of cool chilled out stuff round there as well.
Been in loads of record shops (kind of by accident) which are mostly well stocked but overpriced, found a few more sensible ones though. I'll try and remember which I liked if you're interested.

petergunn

plywood violin
Still here at the moment (on Staten Island waiting for the ferry to take me back to Manhattan). Having a great time, cheers for all the tips. Things we've really enjoyed have been Coney Island (even though everything was closed - that kind of added to the experience - might not be for everyone though) and MOMA and just generally wandering around. Haven't done too much nightlife stuff 'cause, although the bars are nice, they're pretty much the same as where I spend most of my life in London except more expensive. Also, we've done so much walking I've been knackered by evening. Main tip from me would be walk around a lot 'cause then you see loads of stuff, but think about where you're going all the time 'cause it's easy to get on the right road and walk for forty minutes in the wrong direction. Williamsburg is nice (Bedford Avenue and around) and our hotel (Hotel Jane) is awesome, looks like the place in Barton Fink - loads of cool chilled out stuff round there as well.
Been in loads of record shops (kind of by accident) which are mostly well stocked but overpriced, found a few more sensible ones though. I'll try and remember which I liked if you're interested.

i always tell people the only two things that are cheaper in LDN than here is internet cafes and bars...

for record stores, Big City, Academy, A1, and Good Records in the East Village are all worth checking...

if you are staying at the Jane, you might want to see who is playing at Cielo or APT, as they are pretty close to you... and you MUST go to Corner Bistro and get a hamburger, but only either between 2-5pm or after 11pm... otherwise it is full of fools...

petergunn

plywood violin
I'm heading out to NYC next week, 18th-26th. Here are things I'm

FOOD: I'm up for anything from shitty fast food to fine dining. I plan to hit a decent restaurant each day, as well as a more takeaway type deal like a pizza place or sandwich shop. I reckon I'll give Katz a go, and rather shamefully look forward to trying fast food chains we don't have in the UK like Taco Bell, Chipotle etc (because I'm a total glutton). Any definitive recommendations for pizza? I'd also like to check out some Mexican & Japanese places. I've already had a look at NYmag & Time Out's picks for burgers, steaks etc, but any further recommendations would be welcome.

tip the counter guy at Katz's a couple bucks and you'll get a better sandwhich...

pizza, i believe is discussed pretty thoroughly in this sthread... otherwise google is you, b/c the same top 10 places get named over and over, and for the most part all are good... mexican, don't bother w/ sit down places unless you wanna go out to Sunset Park in BK or Woodside/Sunnyside in Queens... otherwise, just eat at the Taco trucks... i like the one at 14th and 8th, which also has sister truck at 6th ave and around 4th st...

for burgers, i like Corner Bistro as mentioned above, as well as Donovan's in Woodside... avoid Shake Shack and Diner and Dumont Burger... all overrated...

petergunn

plywood violin
How does that work if you've already been given the sandwich?

you tell the guy how you want the sandwhich, (lean, medium, fatty), he cuts off a bit and you taste it, THEN he makes the sandwhich... it sounds crazy, and is def not how it goes at LDN salt beef spots or Montreal smoked meat joints, but at Katz's a buck or two will get you a bigger/better sandwhich...

so, brits stand up, where is the best salt beef in LDN? i used to go to the brick lane spots...

IdleRich

IdleRich
I ate at Katz's. I really don't know why you'd want a *bigger* sandwich...
Yeah, it was huge, Matt couldn't finish his - although true to form I finished mine... and his.... and then some potato pancakes with sour cream.
Back in London now, missing the dry, bright weather I experienced last week.

"if you are staying at the Jane, you might want to see who is playing at Cielo or APT, as they are pretty close to you... and you MUST go to Corner Bistro and get a hamburger, but only either between 2-5pm or after 11pm... otherwise it is full of fools"
Advice came too late... but luckily we ate at Corner Bistro twice anyway, good spot.
Think I've been too Cielo before, that's the one that's kind of like Fabric or something isn't it? Only actual club we went to was Santos Party House which was a cool place but truly terrible music (my friend said we could have done better with the records we'd bought that day - and when they played Finley Quaye I had to agree). I liked it when the mad guy tried to pull the performer off the trapeze though, he was then dragged out bleeding from the forehead and giving everyone in the cub the finger shouting (I think) "you're all gay".

Went to somewhere called Little Owl or something that was supposed to do very good burgers but they weren't on the evening menu. Oh well. Next time.

"for record stores, Big City, Academy, A1, and Good Records in the East Village are all worth checking..."
Went to about twenty record shops over the week I reckon. Picked up a few bits and bobs although got pissed off when shops wouldn't let me listen to things I was in two minds about ("Our records are new and we want to keep them that way" "No they're fucking not you twat, it's from 1953 and it's obviously been owned by about twenty people"). No wonder record shops are going out of business when they're throwing money away like that - got home, checked it was what I thought it was and bought it over the internet instead.

Lots of good tips in there from everybody so thanks a lot for that. Really makes everything a lot better/easier to get good, impartial, local advice.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Just clocked that Todd Edwards in playing at a club called Littlefield the night I get to NY. Is the club any good, and is a Todd Edwards DJ set likely to be worth my money these days?