luka

It's so bizarre to watch him bring up the 18 year old bars and they're still better than all his terrible rapping, even for Drill.

intereating isnt it. he was dependent on the sonic terrain of grime in some deep and inescapable way.

luka

He was also young and hungry back then.

yes but i dont think that fully explains why those bars sound good and the others dont, i think it becasue they were designed for a specific rhythmic sensibility which different to a rap rhythmic sensibility.

luka

grime was thatchers children. they swapped lifting one individual into stardom for building and consolidating a scene as an underground (which is to say, an alternative). it's the limitation of thatcherism.

CrowleyHead

yes but i dont think that fully explains why those bars sound good and the others dont, i think it becasue they were designed for a specific rhythmic sensibility which different to a rap rhythmic sensibility.

Also he's a wholly untalented rapper as a majority of Grime MCs are.

Whenever he did his first run of crossing over and being exposed to Westerners, he always regressed to that awful "MY NAME IS DIZZY DIZ, I HANDLE MY BIZ" freestyle like it's fucking 1983 and the looks of all these US Rappers always screamed the same thing

"I thought they were backwards in The South. They ain't heard a rapper since Run DMC huh? This dude sucks."

The truth is that removed from grime Dizzee has always been an atrociously bad rapper, he just had the benefit of A) Great and wholly Non-US Dependent music and 2) Being authentically charismatic in a way that say... Rodney, Sway, Klashnekoff, Manuva and whomever were just not. Now it no longer matters because there is an absurdly productive and active rap community that is definitively British so Dizzee just looks fat and pigheaded and can only just spit the same double-time flow and 0 bars shit on every. fucking. song. He was better off rotting away doing a dozen rewrites of "Bonkers" and "Dance Wiv Me" again and again.

luka

was saying to crowley just now wiley gave dizzee his blueprint and said, look, take my voice, my rhythms, my life and go and be a star with it.

forclosure

I have no idea who Tom Zanetti is but for me in a weird way Unknown T kinda reminds me of Bounty Killer but Killer never forced the bass in his voice like my man did or even Giggs does.

Muller got a good flow but i dunno theres a certain thing for me where it feels like guys who feel like writing more "shocking" bars about how theyre gonna go Embarassing bodies on a opps face and chest has me thinking "is any of this necessary?" but its not new R.A. was yelling about how "YOU GOT YOUR NAME FOR BREAKING BONES I GOT MY NAME FOR BREAKING SPINES" on old Roadside Gs sets so maybe they just picked up from that.

i said this to Crowley ages ago but i feel like the big open secret regarding UK drill is that some of the beats them man rap over are at grime tempos anyway as much as David Drake gets upset about the oversimplifications of chicago drill and how 16 year old soundcloud acolytes in Missourissipiorleansanna arent listening to UK dril barring "Finitio" i aint EVER heard Keef rap over them kind of tempos

luka

youre absolutely right and weirdly i only noticed this over the last couple of days. the beats are fast and the the mcs are fast. they just aren't skippy, they dont bridge the gaps they leave the space but it's not even that different from POW but the cartoonishness has been taken out.

luka

i was listening to it concertedly really giving it a chance and when i got inside the landscape i realised, wow, this has really found some common ground with grime. there's huge similarities now.

luka

like this beat. if you boost all the elements, turn them all up in intensity and impact, you've got something close to grime. but because it's muffled, hidden, shadowy, it's it's own thing.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yeah I wondered if I was imagining it, wanting to hear it, but there's something about that melody

I guess if we knew about musical theory we could place it

forclosure

also i just realised something to continue on from what Crowley said about Dizzee but i think if Devlin tried to do the same thing as far as trying to go in over rap beats people would open their eyes to the realisation of how bad he is.