sadmanbarty

as luke emphasised the use of triplets (dilligent) gives it a bouncing feeling. they've taken the triplet-based flows of post-migos us rap and applied it through a fast chat filter (fast chat was born in south east london after all).

drill mc's sound closer to garage rap mc's than to grime mc's. i have an unconfirmed hunch that garage rap was more of a south london thing.

sadmanbarty

oh and of course the dancehall-derived drum patterns (tresillo) mean that the mcs are bouncing around on top of this very rhythmically angular terrain, compared with us rappers who are on very solid, plodding drums.

CrowleyHead

drill mc's sound closer to garage rap mc's than to grime mc's. i have an unconfirmed hunch that garage rap was more of a south london thing.

Barty, did you hear So Solid try to do road rap?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u3TPKb8hLIs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They sadly remixed it into a grime version to catch up to the grime revival nonsense but Mega sounds perfect on this beat, it's fascinating.

sadmanbarty

crowl always manages to find these spot-on niche examples of what i'm talking about. when i broke reynolds' heart and said that travis scott was meatloaf, crowl posted this celine dion tune that was exactly what i was on about.

blissblogger

'diligent'.

or even diffident

it's really English isn't it, the way the words are half-swallowed

clipped, in the dainty even prissy tradition of the UKG MCs like Creed

(my favorite in first phase road rap is when Giggs uses the word "parnsnip" - makes me think of allotments)

the relative modesty of the British, lacking the expansiveness of the Americans

flat affect, dry, deadpan, gruff

the drill MCs talk like my niece and nephew do, out in West Herts

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
im almost converted just don't like how this stuff is distributed through youtube it's totally aggregate quantification and avalanche. that corporate centralisation is really depressing. it's like i don't get given an opportunity to discover what i actualy like. it doesn't really feel like a gift given to me that i can savour it's just an algorithm.

ugh. how the hell am i ever going to be positive again.

luka

if you say those lyrics i was quoted out loud to yourself you'll see whats so distinctive about them.
you'll trip over yourself. its a very specific effect and quite unusual. these little through the teeth plosives and what not.

blissblogger

[/SUB]

"Ambient 5: On Road"

it's Murda Muzak

a lot of this stuff (trap etc) is meant to be listened to in an inattentive way, immersively, driving or doing something else

the sameyness, the very slight variations in the formula, is not a defect, it's integral to the way the music is used

luka

oh well. that didn't go anywhere. i like this beat.

i just been listening to this guy tonight and he makes tunes. hes making dance music. it doesnt sound one bit like chicago drill.

woodblock tapping

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

if you say those lyrics i was quoted out loud to yourself you'll see whats so distinctive about them.
you'll trip over yourself. its a very specific effect and quite unusual. these little through the teeth plosives and what not.

mary poppins

luka

now we've all decided to be into it it'll go shit. apologies to sloane, crowley, barty,
and all the day one beleivers, we're guna ruin it for you now.

night lads.