CrowleyHead

m8 they've been literally banning the few crews who aren't killing each other from making music, I think dissensus is the least of these lads worries.

luka

i can't pretend im comfortable with the chinging/cheffing/splashing/dipping
but at the same time you have to acknowledge the role that game plays in
creating the atmospheres and landscapes of the music. it is there
whether you like it or not. i don't mean at the level of lyrical content
obviously, that level of analysis is for thickos.

CrowleyHead

they're not banning the producers.

The producers are perhaps the least important contributors to the scene frankly.

This is the major difference between grime and drill. Grime is (and typically has always been) mostly dependant on great producers and the MCs to fill a role. It's absolutely the inverse in Drill which is why people often have the complaint that "they all sound the same". They do all sound the same because the producers are mostly incredibly self-derivative.

luka

why you asking me? i only decided to get into about 3 days ago cos barty kept pestering me about it.

luka

The producers are perhaps the least important contributors to the scene frankly.

This is the major difference between grime and drill. Grime is (and typically has always been) mostly dependant on great producers and the MCs to fill a role. It's absolutely the inverse in Drill which is why people often have the complaint that "they all sound the same". They do all sound the same because the producers are mostly incredibly self-derivative.

my view is the complete opposite of this.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
these little compressed rat-a-tat knots of rhythmic information

Shotgun diligent
Ku quef like I ain't missing him
Clap that ting see nuff opps clinging it
Opp thotty on me man's drilling it

https://genius.com/Zone-2-no-hook-lyrics

diligent RAT-A-TAT
like i aint RAT-A-TAT
missing him RAT-A-TAT
clinging it RAT-A-TAT

I bet this is something to do with solely using a phone to write with now as well, with a phone you tend to just write down little clips (me anyway) of information then collate them later, and these guys are completely phone driven in terms of when they do live stuff etc.

luka

I bet this is something to do with solely using a phone to write with now as well, with a phone you tend to just write down little clips (me anyway) of information then collate them later, and these guys are completely phone driven in terms of when they do live stuff etc.

ffs sloane you little bewdy! now you're talking! this is absolutely brilliantly indubitably right
and it explains why i was writing like this as well.
this is what i need. actual instant perception.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Fuda Guy was the first person I ever saw use a phone in a freestylw. Some videoed radio session, and I remember thinking "well that's that then". Interestingly FudaGuy : "mash man / who clap back / and blam"

luka

was talking to barty about how producers work gets squandered in this scene in a way
grime didn't suffer from. if no one chooses to turn a beat into a song then it doesn't exist. that seems unsatisfactory to me. it makes things move so, so slowly. it's an anchor to development and evolution. very bad. very stupid. very wasteful.

CrowleyHead

I think the thing there is that Grime is one of the last cases where it was an urban music that couldn't be EDMified. You think about how Trap becomes that Trap dance genre or later latin musics become "Tropical House" for this big umbrella field. The productions of US Trap and the producers work in a similar model to these drill producers and at the time as musicians expressed admiration for them I often wondered "Why can't producers showcase themselves the way we do the older 90s style rap producers", a lot of them just inexplicably rapped themselves or became EDM DJs. There's a Dance Culture that's so hugely demanding but doesn't allow for margins the way it used to say, even a decade ago.

sadmanbarty

In 18 months time we're going to look back at unknown t as proto-[genre name].

it'll be a more muscular sound than drill, more carnival, an mc led uk funky.

forclosure

well this is good
Somebody in the comments of this point out how its funny when certain crews are beefing thats when they start blowing up musically (410/Spartans,150/67 now Homerton/ZT)

Also is it me or do the Hackney rappers sound somewhat more amped and lively than the normally flat sedate South london man?

JWoulf

A sad and good thing about drill is that they keep locking up the most talented mcs, forcing a quite rapid evolution