CrowleyHead

That's admittedly part of the hatred for Homerton B, the min. I see the kid in the Deadpool mask I'm just like "Fuck everyone in this video for that"

JWoulf

It may be a step away from authenticity as value towards a more fictionalized, character driven narrative. Violence comic and exaggerated rather than real. We have sort of seen this happen already, there was a short period time where new drill rappers really were anonymous. The difference between spider man and the street thugs spider man beats up. Also: takeshi69 or what ever his name is.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

It's a childish impulse reaction admittedly because I hate the Deadpool 'meme'. The kid who wears that mask raps, ironically, if he's the same one (not that there's one inherent kid who can access a fucking Deadpool mask) and he's a boring rapper but there is a weird sort of thing where... I know, realistically, Deadpool is rather mainstreamed but I think there's some sort of weird nerd energies joking around about this thing, suspicions of inauthenticity for sure. It's like Luka whenever he thinks I'm playing 'internet rap'.

That said, what kind of dweeb thinks "I'm gonna be the Deadpool Drill Rapper"? A fucking dweeb that's who.

sadmanbarty

seems to be the beginning of an effort to develop uk drill into dance music. i can imagine a song or two (accompanied by their eponymous dances) in this mould that go viral (a bit like 'head shoulders knees and toes', migrane skank, etc), but that's as far as i imagine it'll go. it'd be great if it did properly evoleve into a fully fledged dance genre though.

homerton b is essentially uk funky.

other_life

bioconfused
just as it feels like trap/drill/bop production on this side of the atlantic is becoming Default Mode Low NRG Hedonism Jams. lovin all of this

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46932655

Two rappers have been given suspended sentences for performing drill music which incited violence against rival gang members.

Skengdo, real name Terrell Doyley, and AM, real name Joshua Malinga, pleaded guilty to breaching a gang injunction at Croydon County Court, police say.

The injunction was made against the pair last year because they were members of a gang in south London.

They were sentenced to nine months in jail suspended for two years.

The Metropolitan Police says Skengdo and AM, both 21, breached an interim gang injunction which was made in August last year.

"It was breached when they performed drill music that incited and encouraged violence against rival gang members and then posted it on social media," it said in a statement.

sadmanbarty

Police told the crown court that officers had arrived at Malinga's premises inquiring after the death of a rival gang member. The court was told that Malinga replied "non, j'etais a la maison".

sadmanbarty

Honestly don't see the appeal of Unknown T yet.

i'm not that keen. it's a bit of a throwback, the same attitude to melody as maxwell d or k2 family (though the melodies are more african). the tone of voice is off too, it doesn't sit comfortably within drill beats. it's too much foreground.

Dude's the Tom Zanetti of Drill.

In 18 months time we're going to look back at unknown t as proto-[genre name].

it'll be a more muscular sound than drill, more carnival, an mc led uk funky.

Well done crowl. Called it.

My former interpretation was right, the latter too optimistic.

Shame, I had high hopes for drill. I really thought it would birth more. i thought it would be able to insulate itself from students for a couple years more just in time to evolve into something else. it seems not.

rip my love. my muse. you'll forever be a part of me.

sadmanbarty

this was the 'protect ya neck' for a generation of londoners. an explosion of characters and personality. a new frontier. the drill power rangers.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
As for me I may have said this before but I was amazed at how quickly I lost my excitement over the afrobeat/roadrap fusion, now I find it all very bland and by the numbers. Perhaps that's not just me being jaded but it actually becoming shit cos it is so popular.