Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Scoped another biblical reference there

'Trynna make profit like
John the Baptist'

(Good line after 'still running from the 1 time, and I'm a fat kid')

I scoped another in a mad about bars, something like

'Call me caine,
I'm able and I've got caine'

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This will annoy barty and luka but - I mean SO

last night listening to this stuff some of it distinctly reminded me of (gasp) DUBSTEP.

Obviously trap/US drill is the dominant influence and grime too but YES I distinctly heard some DUBSTEP in there. Dubstep bass, dubstep atmosphere. ADMIT IT BARTY :cool:

sadmanbarty

I’ve compared drill to burial’s brand of post-rave melancholia before. However there’s no way that’s an influence. More the thing of them both resulting from the death of the nuum.

That loski ‘famlee’ is obviously dubstep, I presume that was an intentional attempt to cross over with a different audience.

I’m pretty sure the bass cones from basslihe, not dubstep.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
how is there no way an influence?

Cos dubstep's from croydon or something?

Also I'm not really talking about burial style dubstep I'm talking half step with enveloping sub bass

sadmanbarty

Don’t think so. It wasn’t really a thing. Wasn’t in the air. These lot are all younger than pirate radio, so can’t of even accidentally heard it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I reckon producers, wherever they're from, are geeks and geeks have heard dubstep

They might deny it of course

Disguising their Coki records with balaclavas

sadmanbarty

Scoped another biblical reference there

'Trynna make profit like
John the Baptist'

(Good line after 'still running from the 1 time, and I'm a fat kid')

I scoped another in a mad about bars, something like

'Call me caine,
I'm able and I've got caine'

Drill’s soundworld is churchy (reverb, choirs, etc.), but are all evoking proper churches, not the ones in disused industrial estates and above dry cleaners you actually get in Southwark and Lambeth.

Most religious gestures are actually towards the devil (sinsquad, devilish, etc.) or juju.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
They've obviously been told bible stories

I wonder how many of these kids are pretending to be tearaways. That's what Giggs was saying in his Who We Be interview, wasn't it?

sadmanbarty

Russ is from grove park. There’s no way he’s in a real gang. It’s like trying to be a road man in midsummer Murders or something.

sadmanbarty

That’s why he raps outside the dry cleaners. Shakes sticks at the camera in his local woodland.

You never the obligatory shots of police vans or chubby officers who look like the bloke from little Britain getting annoyed that they’re being filmed.