forclosure

since this has cropped up what do you man think of "gospel drill" and the Hopedealers that was big cause for conversation a while back?

sadmanbarty

since this has cropped up what do you man think of "gospel drill" and the Hopedealers that was big cause for conversation a while back?

can't say i've heard much.

sadly i imagine it'll be the classic dichotomy of agreeing with the sentiment, but it not being good music. there's no reason why sonically music should be more interesting when it's about stabbing than about positive stuff, but some weird magic happens to make it that way.

bit like how all the best dancehall tracks are violently homophobic or rap about blm isn't as good as someone saying they've got loads of guns, cars and girls.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Can't take Australians rapping seriously. Must be what it's like for (many) yanks when they hear Brits rap. Not the intrinsic voice but the associations I bring to it.

I had similar kneejerk reaction to that Scouse drill rapper too. Maybe because Scouse is an accent I've always heard in a comical context, growing up in the south.

French rap always sounds good to me. I'm not particularly a fan of the language spoken but rapping wise it sounds good.

Quite interesting hearing e.g. Spaniards doing British accents isn't it? That's as influential as British rap has ever been internationally, isn't it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's fascinating but irresolvable - can we hear a human voice without prejudice?

I mean, if I heard some poshboy doing a drill tune with an Etonian accent I'd hate it, but is that because it would sound bad in Etonian, or because I know Etonians have no business rapping? Is it a case of the wrong instrument or what?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Incidentally, I've lived with all sorts of nationalities here and the one language I really am not a fan of is German. Again, perhaps just national prejudice but I do think there's something very harsh about it. Perhaps it would be suited to drill? A lot of guttural throat noises.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
This will annoy barty and luka but - I mean SO

last night listening to this stuff some of it distinctly reminded me of (gasp) DUBSTEP.

Obviously trap/US drill is the dominant influence and grime too but YES I distinctly heard some DUBSTEP in there. Dubstep bass, dubstep atmosphere.

very, very tangentially. in the same way that you will hear congo natty type ragga jump up in london in the summer. i don't think its being consciously invoked in any significant way.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Incidentally, I've lived with all sorts of nationalities here and the one language I really am not a fan of is German. Again, perhaps just national prejudice but I do think there's something very harsh about it. Perhaps it would be suited to drill? A lot of guttural throat noises.

Ironically, of course, in its vocalisations, structures and plosives, intonations etc, German is closer to American English than it is what is becoming *british english.*

This makes a lot of sense when you consider the large german-scandanavian American presence in the midwest.

It's also why nas or prodigy-havoc style story telling would never work in the uk. we tend to speak quite monotonously with very tightly calculated pitch shifts and dramatisations. which is why the triplet flow suits the UK accent and why UK hip hop sounds like a sob story always.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yes you're right I'm eavesdropping on the kraut in my kitchen and there's a Yankee twang to it isn't there

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Incidentally I don't hate Germans in case any are reading lol

God knows my own voice is repulsive enough, not least to me

forclosure

Best drill track ive heard in a while

one of the busses from my Gym goes through Farm so i recognize all the spots in this video,aint been there since i was in nursery so was a strange vibe being in there

luka

Axl Beats is English, does a lot of uk stuff but also all this Brooklyn stuff.

Someone should interview him Asap. If I was Crowley or whoever I would email him this minute and get it done. He's only got about 400 followers on Twitter it's interesting

CrowleyHead

A lot of these guys are surprisingly hard to get ahold of. I was messaging various producers all over their youtubes/twitters/listed emails for articles way back when and I couldn't get any replies.

luka

I tell you who I have come to probably like the most and that is
Taze. In some ways he's less of a break from the past, so maybe liking him best is a conservative choice. If you watch his behind bars for instance it doesn't seem like such a leap from grime days