baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
drill x eriksatie

savaging man u too (if i haven't misheard) "if you defend that block like Smalling/then man will leave you back for sure"

Last edited:

luka

Nah we're not. It's been the most boring most embarrassing music in the world for quite a while now.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
LOL

That's a shame, I was hoping there'd be something good and new around, rather than trawling through the 80s and 90s again as per usual...

forclosure

lack of imagination & ideas probably, just because you make music "for the roads" doesnt meant you should just limit yourself to that otherwise it just becomes ticking boxes lol alot of the drill guys are pivoting to just straight rap cause of the Met shutting down even more videos and the ones that are still sticking to drill just sound exhausted and dull at this point

forclosure

also i think its just the classic latent embarassment of the idea that rap isnt really a "British" thing as much as some want to believe sure we have people know whove grown up only knowing british rap so people take more active pride in it than before and we have come a long way from the days of Jehst and them but at the end of the day it feels like the immediate legacy of drill has just been kinda dissapointing theres a couple guys who we can see having lasting careers despite all this but alot of man are gonna dissapear because they were so middling or cause they got locked down by the Met saying they cant do anything music related unless they let them know.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
lack of imagination & ideas probably, just because you make music "for the roads" doesnt meant you should just limit yourself to that otherwise it just becomes ticking boxes lol alot of the drill guys are pivoting to just straight rap cause of the Met shutting down even more videos and the ones that are still sticking to drill just sound exhausted and dull at this point

My POV of this stuff is ahistorical, cos I'm such a dabbler

So I don't actually know the difference between a 2015 road rap and 2019 road rap tune most of the time - just some stick out as good

I can see that it could become tired and ossified - like every other genre, really, it becomes a set of signifiers, a 'dress up box' as luka says

sadmanbarty

Why's it embarassing though?

studentification is the triangulation of london's aesthetic values with the rest of the uk’s.

non-londoners will come into contact with london culture at university and will on the one hand be drawn to it due to its cultural cachet, while on the other not possessing the value sey to appreciate it.

having grown up listening to arcade fire there are a number of things they’ll be missing:

1) they won’t be attuned to the rhythmic sophistication of non-american rap

2) they wouldn’t have made their peace with music that is violent, misogynistic and homophobic

3) they would have nme values; music should be political, it should speak to emotional angst, etc.

4) they won’t be up to date with new sounds

so to deal with 1, they turn to very blocky clunky rappers without much rhythmic agility; stormzy, headie one, skepta, jme

to deal with 2, they gravitate towards tongue in cheek stuff. stuff that’s infantile and inoffensive. light entertainment. jme’s rubix cube and songs about business degrees. ‘gun lean’; don’t worry, it’s just a silly dance. etc.

to deal with 3, they gravitate to stormzy calling theresa may a paigon and telling boris to suck his mum. grime 4 corbyn. this truly encapsulates the studentification phenomenon; token, superficial towards the urban while utlimately speaking the language of the suburban.

to deal with 4 they listen to decades old genres; the 2010\s grime revival.

so to capture the student market drill artists are doing a handful of things:

1) not rapping very well

2) being minstrels and ironic. trying to become tongue in cheek memes.

3) stopping the genre evolving waiting for the students to catch up

it's completely understandable, but it's undignified and humiliating nonetheless.