Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That makes sense - the same way grime had a confidence crisis and wiley and skepta made those terrible house singles that got played in gyms a lot

sadmanbarty

they can either talk about politics like we do in student halls or they can be some silly novelty we can ironically dance to at student nights.

they also need the music to be frozen in 2017 so that we can catch up with it.

sadmanbarty

I wonder what trilliam thinks

he married a some widowed millionaire in the country with a big mansion and all that. he told me and luke when we met him and we just thought he was fucking about, but he actually pulled it off.

stroke of genius on his part.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Wasn't there some drill video where they were out in the country? 67 or something?

And in that Mike Skinner doc 67 had moved out to the country.

CrowleyHead

For the record we don't need Barty's opinion of whom is performing 'minstrelry', no offense.

Def. a remark that if third was here as frequently as normal he would've flayed you alive for that one.

sadmanbarty

crowley, your attempts to be a white saviour here are grossly offensive and historically tone deaf. you should apologise immediately.

CrowleyHead

It's not white saviorish to think that "Hmmm. Maybe you determining that the rapper you don't like is getting away with minstrelsy because of their music videos being corny" as some sort of offering of empirical evidence is shitty.

I can't fucking stand anyone in Section/Smoke, I'm not going over every time there's a dumb novelty video they've made as something beneath them. That'd be like pointing to the old man suits in the "Shake a Leg" video as some sort of criminal damning of Roll Deep or look at the fucking "Rolex Sweep" as sycophantic.

You can at least scale it back to like, IDK, simply pointing out to the fact that the UK music industry's sensibilities to rap are still in the primordial ooze akin to the US in the 80s thanks to a combination of backwards comedic sensibilities and a grating need to force entertainers to become novelty acts to be digestible beyond the say, 100 Thousand people or so in their core demographic. Which is fucked and has been a glaring issue for the past 20 years or so, but for any person in the industry looking past that, there's 2 or 3 people coming up with an Ed Sheeran-type scam to get themselves Out of urban music to make money/be respectable.