luka

The culture wars finally reach dissensus! Several years too late. Like some isolated backwater immune to change

luka

This needs someone else to stick their oar in. Really get things going. Raise the temperature! This is guna be good!

sadmanbarty

dear crowley,

i'm very sorry. what i said was abhorrent and i cannot apologise profusely enough.

thank you for checking my privilege.

sincerely

Sadman Barty

glasshand

dj panic attack

this is sick, thanks

liking the #2 as well

some strong self snitching there, sure trilliam would be into it

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/drill-artist-frosty-who-sang-16128869

always find the comments on these videos mad, found myself looking up encro phones and PGP after scrolling down a bit on that track.

don't listen to this podcast much, but the shit show had max daly on and i remember him briefly mentioning the breadth of knowledge of all these (i assume) random suburban/countryside kids in the comments of these youtube videos, knowing or pretending to know all the beef, arrests, gossip inside out from being constant spectators on instagram and snapchat. i bet the students love that aspect of it too, so not sure how that fits into the studentification barty's talking about. and i thought road rappers were on the uni circuit before any comedy tracks were getting made. maybe you meant specificially middle class studentification.

forclosure

looks like Unknown T has a murder case on his hands although the "street reporters" on twitter are saying he had nothing to do with it

forclosure

not sure where to put this but it does prove 2 things:
1) i guess "ruff sound" didnt pan out the way my man wanted it to

2) this proves my point that the gap between grime and UK drill isnt as wide as some people try to make out

all it takes is a backwards loop and for it to give off a different more breathable vibe

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
kind of interesting that one of the biggest New York rap tracks right now uses a UK producer and sounds very much like a UK drill track, only with a Brooklyn accent (this guy has a great voice, too)

luka

Well I was talking about this earlier in the thread. It's interesting in all sorts of ways but it doesn't start with that tune. It posits London New York as a megalopolis joined by the Atlantic, a unified culture bloc. Of course the other aspect is that all the ny drill lost are West Indian. These two are apparently cousins

DannyL

Wild Horses
I have nothing of value to add but that Pop Smoke tune is fire. That's the best thing I've heard for ages.
808 Melo is from bloody Ilford of all places.
According to an interview snippet on Genius, the beat came up on Youtube at random:

I made this in my crib. I made “Welcome to the Party” in my crib. It took like 30 minutes. I’m just chilling with the homeboys, you know, I just wanted to party. I don’t know how I came across the beat, I was just on YouTube and it just came across and I just clicked it. Real shit, it was just on the YouTube. Because you know I listen to a couple artists. I like Chef, know what I’m saying? I like Sleepy. So as I’m listening to them the beat just came up and I just went crazy. I don’t write at all to be honest. I just go in there and go crazy.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You can at least scale it back to like, IDK, simply pointing out to the fact that the UK music industry's sensibilities to rap are still in the primordial ooze akin to the US in the 80s thanks to a combination of backwards comedic sensibilities and a grating need to force entertainers to become novelty acts to be digestible beyond the say, 100 Thousand people or so in their core demographic. Which is fucked and has been a glaring issue for the past 20 years or so, but for any person in the industry looking past that, there's 2 or 3 people coming up with an Ed Sheeran-type scam to get themselves Out of urban music to make money/be respectable.

+1, i fully agree with all of this, barty i find it disappointing you deleted the original minstrellsy post, there's making humorous quips and then there's just this macho overdrive tendancy where there's no black and brown users to call you out cos like we just can't be fucked with a rinse+repeat delete cycle. like, its entitlement to just be irreverent about yourselves, theres a reason why people like me and web eschatology hold back a bit and crowl even mentioned this but i guess people wanted to play the he's my disciple act explain it to me please! and that's really cringe. like thhere's nothing to apologise to me here i just think the forum has been artificially electrified for so long that its pretty much you and luke's show now, and that basically means I'll be far less of a regular contributor now simply because there's no point. like not that I'm advocating for some democracy but you turn it into ur fiefdom and then u got noone to rule whatever.