luka

I find these documents fascinating. As crude and artless as early no limit or something. A culture starting to define itself. Very imatative. Quite sweet even. Not that long ago either. I don't think I'll ever be able to take English rap totally seriously but it's come a long way

sadmanbarty

music that acts as a pre-prepared obituary. the mourning's baked in. the sense of waste. funeral procession music. dressed in black.

not so pleasant under the circumstances, but "question if gang pull up are you going to back your bredrin?" is iconic.

forclosure

The NPK boys wernt exactly playing nice couple months ago either

theyre reffering to the shooting that happened outside the cinema not far from my yard this year

i understand why people are losing their minds over this although the language people use to talk about this "crud" and saying its the "rudest drill tune of the year has me rolling my eyes"

after i heard that Zone 2 track i just sighed cause it feels like alot of these drill brehs try far too hard to be shocking

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I can't see any videos anyone's posting anymore, which is a shame. But Zone2 are KILLING IT at the moment, pun intended.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

forclosure

to put it bluntly i think people just got bored of uk drill round here

not to say that we want it to stop or that people arent putting new stuff out but as far as ideas and flows go it seems to have hit a dead end,people are making tracks fine but the rapping comes across so non-descript(unless their directly talking about ops alive or dead) and the beats are the same bland dirgy darkness that it might aswell be background noise

im sure Barty and Reynolds are still paying attention but yeah thats where its at right now

sadmanbarty

i gave up on drill ages ago. maybe a couple of years ago at this point.

as you say it found a formula and hasn't sought to evolve from there.

they learned the lesson from the grime lot; the music's just suspended waiting for middle england to catch up so that they can have proper careers. stick to doing the same thing in the hope that it'll be the music of student parties in a few year which is what happened with grime.

its working. headie one getting advertising deals. russ having chart success. that sort of thing.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I don't follow drill , would basically be embarrassing for someone my age, but reading the above comments, it strikes me that this is what happens when music is decoupled for any commercial imperative. Same formulas repeated, lots of likes and discussion in the in group but not of relevance outside of that. A bit like the Labour Party rn.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I share the assessment of the music though. Most of it that I've heard is pretty boring to an outside listener apart from the occasional bright spark like Loski. Anyway, I'm too old to comment in this thread, it shouldn't be allowed.