CrowleyHead

Discussions of these boys having no charisma while other threads pretend likewise about Mark E Smith...

Couldn't be me.....

CrowleyHead

Appropriate grammar is not necessary for The Fall, both in tribute and dismissal.

Charisma is apparent in the gestures of how you make yourself identifiable while also hiding your identity. If you wanna be super pretentious about it, how many grime MCs were probably great but you never knew what they looked like, but the sheer quality of their voice and their mic work got them over (and let's not pretend there was this fantastical gap in subject matter from MC to MC in grime); likewise these kids do it, but they're also trying to work while offering next to little of themselves visually until they're ready to do so.

The big contrast is the scene is, compared to grime, super conservative in approaches, but its in the little minute distinctions. Anyone can make the "skengs & shanks, mask on when the boy got flanked" record, but instead you have to provide the slightest shades while still being in this extreme monochromatic.

luka

im mostly convinced it has to do with the extreme conservativeness of gang culture compared to the individualism that you got with grime when gang culture was still in its early stages in London (peckham boys et al notwithstanding)

I'd argue the problem is actually that the sound has become a sound now, if that makes sense.

I was really invested in this stuff a few years ago because there was a lot of freshness in the approach- the UK producers weren't that polished, loads of different kinds of flows, robbing obscure US beats, actual product to buy. As it's grown the template has become more rigid and the gloss & shine it's taken on has removed the individuality.

Don't think it's a charisma thing necessarily- no-one would ever argue the early tapes were covered in mental individualistic characters, but there were certainly a lot more different takes on it- whereas the last couple of years everything has became very one note.

It probably didn't help with 3/4 of Peckham getting locked up just as they were getting momentum going but yeah there you go.

Ultimately though who cares what I think I'm a white scouser who just happened to buy a load of tapes a few years ago lol. But it doesn't have the same feel as the DIY nature of it circa 08-11. That is a long time ago in terms of London music, mind

luka

who invented that 'ehhhh' adlib you hear all over uk drill (and u.s rap for that matter)it's a good 'un

luka

lol nah i approve of you i liked it when you were terrorising everyone before you got mellow in your old age it was well funny

trilliam

likewise fam

i recall that time fondly tbf lmao

early twenties working nightshift security whilst vehemently arguing about the merits of this game changing genre that would be euthanized by the years end

music is passionate like that, some of the things posted on the last two pages here are stoking the old flames of rage but its a different time now

/

what did u think of the writing, skewer me pls

luka

if im being critical i would say i'd want to hear more of you in it. it's difficult because obviously you're not writing for yourself and people expect a neutral, journalistic voice but at the same time to stand out it has to have a distinctive personality and character. you dont want to be writing like youre sucking up to the teacher or it feels unnatural. at the same time you dont want to be writing like you;re talking to your mates becasue that ends up sounding forced as well. tricky thing to get right.
your big advantage is always going to be knowing what youre talking about though and not being corny and youre not going to lose that.

luka

basically your job is to make sure no one ever has to read a 'guide to uk drill' by toby the youth worker ever again. that's your responsibility.