rubberdingyrapids

Presume you're from East Luka? lol

its the cockney influence. gives it a sharpness you wouldnt get down south i dont think. even in grime, essentials lacked that higher frequency attack you got from most east london artists. they sound like theyre really trying to get going, while dizzee for instance sounded like he needed to be restrained. maybe cos south london is more reggae-influenced, idk.

im no authority so am prob missing a lot but road rap is basically ukhh mk2 to me (and yes, ukhh was 'street' once upon a time too, it wasnt all just dads in backpacks really into dj premier). theres some genuinely interesting beats on the giggs album, but most of it sounds like alchemist knock offs. i dont hear luger, it doesnt have that kind of energy, its just more lifeless trap production. no one needs any more expert hi hat rolls in 2016.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm not a Londoner so I don't understand these nuances. I couldn't tell where in London a Londoner came from, except East maybe, cos that's the classic cockney accent. Luka hipped me to the fact that the over-earnest UKHH delivery is a North London thing, I think?

Is South London generally more suburban?

rubberdingyrapids

my wholly non ian sinclair-take: it wasnt that surprising dubstep was from south london, cos south london has always had more of a reggae pedigree (why more than east london or west, i dont really know, its just how its perceived as the carribean capital of london), and yeah, most of those guys were suburban, but giggs and those guys arent (or are they? i dont know peckham well enough, apart from peckhamplex), its just something about the tension in the south london air that sucks your energy out, lol, im not sure how to explain it, though i am prob biased.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

there is actually one track on the giggs album that is kinda dubsteppy and it really works

but if you want proof of some of the ukhh mk2-isms, its lines from some of the guest rappers like 'bring it to your neck like violins' which i think are memorable, but those kinds of similies seem a bit old fashioned.

giggs is a bit more modern, he has lines like 'call me oscar the grouch for how i got a bag of green' (poor paraphrasing)

luka

That's one of the livelier bits. Try Gypsy Hill, Dulwich, Streatham, Croydon, Catford, Bellingham...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Actually I shouldn't have slagged Brixton cos I like it, actually. Stockwell I mainly remember as being strewn with rubbish. A lot of mentally ill people walking around, and up Brixton high street.

rubberdingyrapids

yeah upton park is suburban too but theres something less oppressive (though this could just be cos i know it better) about it. getting around in south london seems like a mission.

luka

It is. It's a nightmare. It's bus territory. Either that or suburban branch lines which don't connect with one another.

luka

Sidcup. Clapham. Beckenham. Belvedere. Mitcham. Bexleyheath. Crystal Palace. Penge.

CrowleyHead

It actually just came out this month. There was a whole premier on 5AM b/c they have a tie in with one of their songs referencing 5AM for some reason. Anyway, some of the singles are from the beginning of the year, and I think (can't recall) they may have downsized on a lot of Carns Hill's Production for some reason but they're nominated for a MOBO and everything.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ko5Z_2dBYSI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is mostly hilarious b/c I'd never thought I'd hear these kids rap over something that had 'triumphant horns' and wasn't OPPRESSIVE GLOOM.

luka

the videos are always really well shot. weve come a long way from channel u. that lot getting the aerial shots from the drone. really nice. who says media studies is a waste of time.