mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Ok, everyone in the world knows who Giggs is, but is anyone else trying to keep up with South London's output at the moment? There's just mixtapes flying like bullets in all directions, it really feels like music-as-drive-by, and round where I live, it's everywhere.

Some names

Dubz, Buck, Fix Dot'M, Page, Joe Black, Face Squeeze, Youngsta, Fem Fel, Blade (how did he stay relevant? even if he was good?), Pakman, Goodfellaz, Firebarz

I know Slackk's feeling this stuff, anyone else? Any tips? Or details about the artists involved? I know it's Peckham and Woolwich, and that everyone hates each other, because they live somewhere else.

The comments on this video are great :

Jesus christ where to start.

I've been making kind of a road rap primer series for a couple of people for a while now. I'll pull together say 2 CDs of the best shit and bang it up?

That Youngsta "Crystal Meth" and Konan & Krept's "Murda 1" are the best CDs this year, any genre, don't care.

For grime comparisons, view youtube as pirate radio.

mistersloane

Jesus christ where to start.

I've been making kind of a road rap primer series for a couple of people for a while now. I'll pull together say 2 CDs of the best shit and bang it up?

That Youngsta "Crystal Meth" and Konan & Krept's "Murda 1" are the best CDs this year, any genre, don't care.

They're great, aren't they? And the Buck n Fix Dot'M. Bonus points on the Youngsta one for doing, I think, the first mention of Gipsy Hill on a tune, which was my endz when I was growing up. I nearly dropped my brandy when I heard it.

What I like is that it's much more emotional than I thought - obviously the gun talk, but alot of true confession stuff as well.

Undoubtedly- that track on Murda 1 about Konan's uncle being dead, etc, it really caught me off guard. There are a lot of surprises like that.

Not a huge fan of Buck but Fix Dot'm is great, can't wait for Petrelli's Diary.

Seems like basically every estate has a crew repping it as well, reminds me of the old grime days in that respect. I suppose it is, though; it's got the streets after all.

Really feeling John Wayne as well;

Giggs got signed to XL last week, incidentally.

mos dan

fact music
They're great, aren't they? And the Buck n Fix Dot'M. Bonus points on the Youngsta one for doing, I think, the first mention of Gipsy Hill on a tune, which was my endz when I was growing up. I nearly dropped my brandy when I heard it.

yeah gipsy hill didn't even get a shout on southside allstars did it? tooting bec common did tho haha.

i need to check some of these names! (er, maybe not blade, if it's all the same with you.) where can i get those two cds slackk? bear in mind i'm now a traitor to south london..

does the postcode warrage make it into many tunes? or is it more big up your own ends, rather than go after other people's?

pardon my ignorance, i'm a grime kid (wot then?). look forward to the primer!

mistersloane

does the postcode warrage make it into many tunes? or is it more big up your own ends, rather than go after other people's?

There's always been a Brixton/Peckham rivalry thing going on : kinda breaks down like this what what I can see on youtube at the moment

BRIXTON:

Myatts Field Estate (Baghdad) - Brixton - SW9
Angell Town (A-Town) - Brixton - SW9
Loughborough Estate - Brixton - SW9
Somerleyton Estate (MurderZone) - Brixton - SW9
Cowley Estate - Brixton - SW9
Brixton Hill (Hillside) - SW2

BROOKLYN:

Old Kent Road (Brooklyn) - SE1

PECKNARM:

North Peckham Estate (Yellow Brick) - Peckham - SE15
Crane Estate (Crane Block) - Peckham - SE15
Clifton Estate - Peckham - SE15
Southampton Way Estate (S.Dot.Way) - SE5
Lettsom Estate - SE5
Aylesbury Estate - Wooly Road - SE17

luka

you lot realise this is a rerun of hooligan days right?
its much closer to firms than it is to crips and bloods/

mistersloane

you lot realise this is a rerun of hooligan days right?
its much closer to firms than it is to crips and bloods/

Yeah, was just talking about that, West Ham/Millwall tonight, Climate Camp tomorrow and then Carnival at the weekend, it's like it got declared National Beat Up Police week or something

Benny B

Pardon my ignorance, but does Road Rap differ from other UK Hip Hop musically?

I'm not baiting anyone, its a genuine question coz I haven't really got round to checking much of this stuff out yet (will remedy that this week hopefully). I have heard a few things by Giggs and I must admit it sounded pretty turgid to my ears but I'm willing to give it a few more chances. Looking forward to the primer then slackk.

I'd say it definitely takes it's sonic cues from different sources than your typical UKHH, yeah. If there is any way to really describe it, I'd look at it as a much darker version of the Heatmakers / D-Block sound with a lot of bass. Not to say it's unoriginal though, there's very few producers at this speed I'm feeling more than Boomblass right now. I'll try and do that comp tomorrow.

Simon78

I have got the Krept & Konan cd, both the Youngsta cd's, Buck & Fix Dot M, Killa Ki, Young Spray Vol2 and a few Giggs cd's what else should I be looking for?

Has John Wayne got a cd out and what other Peckham cd's are about? I'm off to get some more from the SN1 shop on the weekend so anyone got anything else to recommend?

The comments on all of the Youtube videos are nuts.

mms

sometimes
i'm not totally convinced by alot of this stuff either yet, but i'd like to hear more, maybe it will click a bit more.

can someone do a kind of primer via youtube, that would be good.

its not very much like grime is it, thats the interesting thing, the only links are the big crews, and the violence, even though the descriptions of violence are kinda mundane descriptions of everyday aggro threats paranoia etc, rather than grimes to the point attack dog mode.

I have got the Krept & Konan cd, both the Youngsta cd's, Buck & Fix Dot M, Killa Ki, Young Spray Vol2 and a few Giggs cd's what else should I be looking for?

Has John Wayne got a cd out and what other Peckham cd's are about? I'm off to get some more from the SN1 shop on the weekend so anyone got anything else to recommend?

The comments on all of the Youtube videos are nuts.

Nah there isn't a John Wayne CD yet. If you're looking for other stuff to cop, any S.I tape, Page's CD, Pak-Man "From Grams To Grands", the Big Ryde comp "Cut Above The Rest", the rerelease of Dubz' Ard Doe is much better than the original, Joe Grind's thing, any of the Blackgang Broadway stuff...

luka

apart from giggs is there any of these boys that have distinctive voices?
grime had some great voices. this lot are a bit samey. not much variety in the flows either.

mistersloane

Put 'Gwop Up' from Wooly @ Heart on the primer Slackk!

This is good

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I really like it cos I stopped listening to hiphop cos of the accent after grime, but, y'know, I really liked D-Block and Diplomats and all that, so it works well for me as daytime music. It's massive with the 8 year olds on buses round SE16.

Simon78

Nah there isn't a John Wayne CD yet. If you're looking for other stuff to cop, any S.I tape, Page's CD, Pak-Man "From Grams To Grands", the Big Ryde comp "Cut Above The Rest", the rerelease of Dubz' Ard Doe is much better than the original, Joe Grind's thing, any of the Blackgang Broadway stuff...

Ta, I will go and buy those on the weekend.

This lot are from round my way. It sounds like they used the same preset as Danny Weed for one of the instruments.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'd be interested in that CD slackk

Within a year Giggs will have Calvin Harris, Lily Allen and Chris Martin of Coldplay standing in the background of his videos with black hoods up gesticulating menacingly.

Elijah

Butterz
This was bound to happen as a reaction to fassy house. Will be around for a long time as an alternative to Grime for those that dont like that. Will never be as big as Grime though.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
so is this an exclusively south-east london thing? and is it a completely different scene from grime or do they bleed into each other (i saw skepta and giggs had a tune together, but that doesn't really count given giggs' profile)