forclosure

The most aggro tracks i've heard tonight

anybody more familiar with Rendo or them SMG guys?

Taze was saying some vile stuff on this track gave me some Devilman "End up in trouble" flashbacks and that's the last track i really wanna think about again

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The most aggro tracks i've heard tonight

1. What were the tracks? 2. 'Tonight'?

'I'm the high roller, bi-polar in the fly motor' is so British, the bathetic slump from 'fly' to 'motor'

Also it's quite catchy

Nines has nigh-on zero charisma as far as I can tell but he does have some memorable bars.

'Me and the gang coming like some Arabs / spending all this crack money up in Harrods'.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Nines album is out:

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:album:5aD5YOjG9xlde1gbFVOQrQ" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

My remarks re: Nines above still apply.

It's weird this sort of anti-charisma thing these UK rappers have got going now. That delivery like they don't really care. Maybe it plays into the 'I'm not a rapper I'm a trapper' thing.

'Trapper of the Year' is a banger though.

CrowleyHead

It's weird this sort of anti-charisma thing these UK rappers have got going now. That delivery like they don't really care. Maybe it plays into the 'I'm not a rapper I'm a trapper' thing.

Nah, they just don't sound like Grime which is a lot of effort. The greatest Giggs quote of all time was that one interview where he described Grime as "A lot of guys doing a lot but not saying much, not REALLY". It works best when you imagine it in his voice.

Of course now my man's career exists to be subsidized by grime festival bookings so...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Nines sounds like he's talking rather than rapping.

Admittedly this is better than that Jehst/Chester P thing of emoting as if you're about to cry.

CrowleyHead

Also to be fair, have you heard a Rakim song of late? The delivery's there but 'effort' is not always something you can describe Rakim as performing.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Muffled, softened voices with none of East London's angularity. Think about the combination of grime rhythms and East London voices. The strangeness of it. Rhythms like a climbing frame, and voices finding all sorts of ways to clamber over, in and around them. Then contrast that to the mumbling of road rap. A flat plane. A Man plodding through a swamp. In a balaclava.

My favourite music writer :love:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The Yanks got introduced to road rap en masse last night through Giggs features on "More Life". Unsurprisingly, they think he's shit.

TBH although I do like Giggs, I do still think of him as a bit of a novelty rapper. So to an American he presumably sounds ridiculous. But then, not so long ago rap from outside New York was basically considered less credible and even a joke, wasn't it?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Why do you think that? He's pretty much killed everything he's been on for the past couple of years.

I dunno, he just sounds a bit comical. He's deliberately comical, with the line about Batman on KMT and so on. I think his sense of humour is quite British, quite deadpan and tongue-in-cheek, and bound to go over peoples heads (especially Americans). Like that line about 'looking all christmas, looking all turkey' :crylarf: It's almost like he SOUNDS shitter than he is. Like, I loved 'Talking The Hardest' but even that had those lines like 'coming up through the dirt like a parsnip' which are poised somewhere between genius and embarrassing.

Crowley will probably correct me here but I think he's like a British Cam'ron in some respects.

Anyway, not trying to hate on him, he's obviously one of the kings of UK rap and gave birth to many imitators.

RE: Harlem Spartans - Am I right in thinking they're ALL in prison now? Read that on another forum.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

67 - Waps (2017)

Someone might have already posted this. Anyway. I'm still feeling like some of these rappers are below par, but I'm definitely getting more of a feel for the UK stuff lately. The flows are definitely not US derived and some of the voices are very distinctive too.