Should I Publish Myself?

luka

yeah i want to start getting that comp money for sure...
im going to do all that stuff... slut it up....

luka

im going to listen to what zhao has to say regarding the visual presentation and then i will simply email it to anyone who is interested. you can print it out yourself.
a word of warning. none of my real life friends or my girlfriend have bothered to read it, they think its gibberish. so, it may be that i am the only person who really likes it.
having said that, i liike it very much indeed.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I dealt with alot of artists and writers at one point, and I just ended up thinking that the reason alot (not all, obviously) of people have agents, or PR people, or dealers, or anything to do with the business side of things is because they think that it's beneath them.

And I just think, well, you're employing these people, but you think that work is beneath you, what does that mean you think of them? Ultimately it means that you, as the artist, think you're better than other people, and that's just such shite. There's no such thing as purity of art.

Which leads to the conclusion that a lot of artists and writers are divorced from the real world, which is why so many of them are absolute ivory-tower, masturbatory gash (I think that a lot of the tripe that passes for fiction is abominable - the novel these days seems to be the easiest artform for completely talentless, prententious charlatans with nowt to say to get by in, for some reason. Probably because people read less, and thus think "ooh, a 500 page novel - must be good if he/she can write that much").

Yes, get thy work out there, and save the literary world from gash.

On the flipside, the terrifying thing about music, especially since it got democratised, is how many AMAZINGLY talented people are out there.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
(I think that a lot of the tripe that passes for fiction is abominable - the novel these days seems to be the easiest artform for completely talentless, prententious charlatans with nowt to say to get by in, for some reason. Probably because people read less, and thus think "ooh, a 500 page novel - must be good if he/she can write that much").

haha!

nail, head.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Which leads to the conclusion that a lot of artists and writers are divorced from the real world, which is why so many of them are absolute ivory-tower, masturbatory gash (I think that a lot of the tripe that passes for fiction is abominable - the novel these days seems to be the easiest artform for completely talentless, prententious charlatans with nowt to say to get by in, for some reason. Probably because people read less, and thus think "ooh, a 500 page novel - must be good if he/she can write that much").

Yes, get thy work out there, and save the literary world from gash.

On the flipside, the terrifying thing about music, especially since it got democratised, is how many AMAZINGLY talented people are out there.

Yeah, really, definitely. It's why it's really important, politically, to not have an agent or not be represented, to show and say to other people that it is possible, regardless of 'success'.

Artists are divorced from the real world though cos of the colleges I think, which is to do with the amount of money each college gets through citations in published papers. Each citation gets the college accredited money, thus you get this system of people publishing work about people they know, in order to get the course they are teaching on money. Thus you only get people teaching about a very narrow strain of artists. Does that make sense? Maybe someone else can explain it better.

You're so right about music, and there's no reason to think it's not the same in other media. Or maybe music is exceptional? We shall see.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, really, definitely. It's why it's really important, politically, to not have an agent or not be represented, to show and say to other people that it is possible, regardless of 'success'.

Artists are divorced from the real world though cos of the colleges I think, which is to do with the amount of money each college gets through citations in published papers. Each citation gets the college accredited money, thus you get this system of people publishing work about people they know, in order to get the course they are teaching on money. Thus you only get people teaching about a very narrow strain of artists. Does that make sense? Maybe someone else can explain it better.

You're so right about music, and there's no reason to think it's not the same in other media. Or maybe music is exceptional? We shall see.

Know nothing about visual arts, so I'll leave that to the side, but in terms of novels vs music, it seems to me that the former is so much more driven by the publicity machine to the exclusion of other factors. Appearing on Richard and Judy's book club (or whatever it is), winning a prize, or being a Waterstones featured book, can cause a novel to rise from obscurity to . The once-a -year Mercury prize is the only equivalent I can think of that has the same rags-to-riches impact in music terms, irrelevant of whether the public has previously shown any interest in the winner.

Obv music is publicity-heavy, but there are so many other factors at play driving even what casual listeners like to buy.

benjybars

village elder.
I don't think you should. Only cranks self-publish. You don't want to look like a crank. You'll be one of those people who walk into bookshops with their life's work in a plastic bag, trying to sell to unsuspecting and sometimes dim booksellers.

this is very, VERY true.

i've worked in a bookshop for 3 years now and you can smell a self-published writer a mile off.. that look of desperation, the way they pull out their book from their plastic bag and it's got the worst cover in the entire world..

not saying you shouldn't do it tho! ;)

mate of my dad's wrote a book of political satire type stuff and self published it but somehow got rory bremner to give a it quote for the front cover (presumably by paying rory bremner lots of money)

don't think it helped him much..

L

LoraHup

Should I Publish My

Ive been inspired to make this thread, as in my "The art world" thread, natesully made a point about indie film being predominately an outlet for overt left-wing rants and sentiments. Being a left-winger myself, youd think Id be angered by this comment, but I somewhat agree. For example, when I watch a film that should be a piece of art in itself that has a left-wing slant Dirty Pretty Things springs to mind, although I may agree with the point and sentiment and Id much rather watch it than some moral-preachery-family-values-Hollywood tripe, it does not necessarily mean that I think the film was "good art." Ive never studied art, so Im making this post on a whim here, but maybe the best art - the stuff that stands the test of time, for example - doesnt have an agenda, but merely portrays truth transcendent and autonomous of political thought.

Anyone feel they can add or elabourate on my young thoughts?