free/cheap alternatives to photoshop for the mac?

john eden

male pale and stale
any recommendations?

Mainly I just need something for scanning, cropping, resizing etc. Perhaps a bit of manipulating colours, brightness, contrast. Maybe filters and general weirdness but that isn't essential.

Pestario

tell your friends
GIMP sounds like what you're looking for. Installing it on the mac is not super straightforward but I managed it and I'm not very good at such things.

D

droid

If you were so inclined it would be easy to download CS4 on torrent and then run little snitch when using it to make sure it doesn't call home?

john eden

male pale and stale
If you were so inclined it would be easy to download CS4 on torrent and then run little snitch when using it to make sure it doesn't call home?

sounds like too much bother - will get gimping when time allows.

thanks all.

sorry for all these fuckwit threads, btw.

D

droid

It basically asks your permission before it allows anything on your computer to connect to the internet. Good for malware, spyware, dodgy software (not that you have any of course ;) etc...

nomos

Administrator
seconded on little snitch.

gimp is a nightmare though. i want to like it but it's atrocious, at least after having used photoshop for a dozen years. but for what you've described i think you could get away with Imagewell and the editing tools in Preview. You could also use Picasa for touching up (it's a good alternative to iPhoto in general). Or Aperture if you want to overdo it.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I'm unfamiliar with Photoshop and a total geek, but what doesn't GIMP do?

Or is it the interface? Seems to be getting less and less shit in that regard. Not sure it's ever going to be great, but for free and legal, it's fine by me...