Adult careers advice

swears

preppy-kei
I hate my job (invoice clerk), but I have no idea what else I could do to make money instead. I'd quite like to do something where I'm working with other people, maybe in training or something. (Don't want to be a teacher tho, 'cause I can stand kids).

Anyway... teenagers have have those connections places and people at their school who they can see to get advice about the sort of careers they might like to consider, what sort of qualifications and experience they need, etc... but I'm 26 next month and I wondered if there was anything similar for proper grown ups.

Anyone had experience with this? I have googled and searched a bit, but it seems like word of mouth might be more useful here. I'm not bothered if I don't start a new job soon, I realise it might be a few years off, but I'd at least like to be on the right path.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I understand the difficulty in knowing what choices are out there. What I would advise is to try to do something where you're picking up a genuine skill/set of knowledge, rather than doing one of the many office jobs that, realistically, anyone could do with minimal training (alas, there are loads of those around, all of them depressing).

i'm not sure if there's a decent free careers advice service out there for adults. i went for some (heavily expensive) advice, which was useful insofar as there's so little info out there on what's available, but objectively, was a rip off.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I dunno if it's much help but there is (or at least was) something like this in Oxford which is connected to the university - however, I was surprised to learn, you do not have to be a student or have attended the university to use it. Might be worth asking at your nearest university to see if they do anything similar or can point you in the right direction.

Client Eastwood

You could try to take a career test online. You know the ones, you have to answer lots of questions and it tells you what careers you would be suited to. I tried one once and it said 'Museum Curator' . . . Hmmmmm.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
You could try to take a career test online. You know the ones, you have to answer lots of questions and it tells you what careers you would be suited to. I tried one once and it said 'Museum Curator' . . . Hmmmmm.

One of my friends does that, and she enjoys it....pay is shite though. The plus point is getting intellectual stimulation in something you're interested in. Fusty, though.

As for the cost of the careers advice I had, was in the hundreds....I had some spare cash going and was desperate to make the right choice. Did I? Probably not. :slanted:

gumdrops

dyou know of a good test?

i went to see a woman once who was some sort of careers therapist - she seemed helpful but wasnt really buzzing with suggestions so it might be a bit of a gamble.

Client Eastwood

dyou know of a good test?

i went to see a woman once who was some sort of careers therapist - she seemed helpful but wasnt really buzzing with suggestions so it might be a bit of a gamble.

I cant remember the one I did mate, was a freebie one online. There's loads of them so try a couple that look competent. Feel free to post any results would be interesting to see how fit for purpose they actually are. . .