Murdoch on BBC ...

Leo

um...seems to me the murdoch's have done their fair share of ''manipulation and distortion" with their media organizations.

crackerjack

um...seems to me the murdoch's have done their fair share of ''manipulation and distortion" with their media organizations.

and there's the rub

there are legitimate issues surrounding the BBC's dominance, but while the competition are offering dangerous shameless garbage we know where the real orwellianism lies.

trouble is, it's gonna get worse here. it's become common parlance in the right-wing press and their radio cousins to accuse the BBC of leftist bias (it doesn't), not just liberal bias (it does). the tory govt will loosen the bonds tying Sky to responsibility and rein in the BBC.

of course, Baby Murdoch has some experience of dealing with actual Orwellians - he thinks they rock

edit: this thread should really be in politics, since the issue could scarcely be more political, but hey

polystyle

I would have put this in 'Politic's but it seemed more apt under 'Misc' ,
possibly 'Misc bull*hit' from the Lord class !

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Certainly the fact that he can talk such bollocks without getting egged or something is kind of depressing....

ether

interesting... the second time recently Orwell has been referenced by the right in the media.

crackerjack

I think the voice of the populace should shoot Murdoch in the fucking face.

This could be Sky's first big reality show, would-be hitmen competing for the right to assassinate Murdoch and the guaranteed love of the nation. They could call it Bop-bop-bop Idol.

Meantime we'll just have to make do with Robert Peston telling him to fuck off.

interesting... the second time recently Orwell has been referenced by the right in the media.

Orwell's kinda where Jesus was in 15th-century political debate. Both sides want some of his anti-totalitarian cred and there's an assumption he wouldn't have had much truck with relativism and identity politics.

slightly crooked

Mind you, I do enjoy being lectured in the importance of competition and free markets from someone who reached a position of power and influence on account of being the bosses son...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
This could be Sky's first big reality show, would-be hitmen competing for the right to assassinate Murdoch and the guaranteed love of the nation. They could call it Bop-bop-bop Idol.

Meantime we'll just have to make do with Robert Peston telling him to fuck off.

Brap Idol!

This quote by Peston is excellent :

"having just lived through the greatest failure in history to distribute financial resources in an efficient and equitable way, we certainly shouldn't assume that a commercial digital market in news will distribute information in a way that would support a healthy democracy"

Big article in Guardian Media today saying that alot of the people at the Festival essentially agreed with what Murdoch said with regard Ofcom and the Beeb -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/aug/31/james-murdoch-media-bbc-regulators

plus a nice piece by Emily Bell :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2009/aug/31/charging-for-content-bbc