afghan tanker madness

raffia

so the taliban steal 2 tankers - the best result would be to recover them.

or - maybe wait until they are surrounded by poor local people desperate for fuel and blow them all up with missiles ?

have the nato crew heard of peak oil/global warming etc?

raffia

sorry I should have explained myself better.

Thanks for the article vimothy. Its a pretty clear indication of how little the Nato forces seem to care for the Afghan people, even tho they are supposed to be there to 'protect' them.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
even tho they are supposed to be there to 'protect' them.

who says that's why they're "supposed" to be there?

(in the military context of COIN, yes, of course. but protecting the population - however that is defined - was never a strategic/policy goal, had nothing to do with what motivated the original invasion. I mean, let's be clear.)

Last edited:

unpardag73

Banned
id say its more to do with that rather large and important OIL PIPELINE built nearby .....

oh wait, you cant say its for OIL ..... that would be BAD .....

BTW, what was the military excercise that was going on on 9/11?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
id say its more to do with that rather large and important OIL PIPELINE built nearby .....

you mean natural gas pipeline, dude. there was a proposal for an oil pipeline in Afghanistan back in the late 90s by Unocal (now a part of Chevron) but the project was abandoned. and given that no one's even began construction on an oil pipeline in 8+ years of occupation you'd have to say that, no, it wasn't a big reason behind the war. and given that the natural gas pipeline began in 1995, that the Taliban made a deal with Unocal to build it 3 years before the Sept. 11th & the invasion and that construction on the pipeline has pretty much ground to halt since the invasion you'd have conclude it's not behind the war either. you can certainly attack the war on a lot of grounds but this isn't really one of them; this shit was discredited back in 2001.

what's ironic is that there is an oil pipeline in the area mostly owned by a conglomerate of Western oil companies, with sketchy American involvement, but it's on the other side of the Caspian Sea, through Azerbaijan and Georgia (see recent dustup w/Russia in re: tensions btwn that country & the West over energy). James Baker, Kissinger, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Brent Scowcroft and John Sununu are all on the U.S.-Azerbaijan Chamber of Commerce advisory council. Baker's law firm, Baker Botts LLP (whose client list is like a who's who of oil & other energy companies) is the Chamber's main counsel and his son is its chairman. you may also recall - or not - that G.W. sent Baker over to Georgia in 2003 to tell Eduard Shevardnadze to step the hell down and make way for for the pro-West Saakashvili.

the moral of the story is, if you're going to make asinine offhanded comments about the U.S. and our various dubious involvement in energy projects around the world, at least know what the hell you're talking about.

is that supposed to be some kind of clumsy nine-eleven truth dig? do you mean the one where NORAD was simulating plane-hijackings - b/c clearly there was no need to plan for that eventuality:rolleyes: - or the brilliant one where we sent planes to Alaska & Canada to monitor an exercise the Russians were doing? personally I'm a fan of the latter; its can't let go of the Cold War vibe is so out of touch as to be almost charming.

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please

oh wait, you cant say its for OIL ..... that would be BAD .....

i blame the Jews myself