DAW questions thread

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
oatmeal is supposed to be a really good synth, a lot of people are surprised its free

I'd heard that - apparently there's a randomiser button which creates new presets within certain limits?

As to Zebra, does anyone know where I could get hold of the version that came out free on the front of Computer Music (some time ago, admittedly), called Zebra CM, appropriately enough?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I have absolutely no excuse for this, apologies for the ridiculous delay. How many times have I been on the other end of this - it's v annoying, I know. I shall rip the two I haven't yet done tonight, and put it up on sendspace.

zhao

there are no accidents
cool. thanks babs. no emergency you understand. just sometime in the next week or so would be nice... and please do make sure they are 320k (load song into itunes and do "get-info" and one of the tabs will show bit rate)

cheers

massrock

Why?

I still use Cubase LE for recording sometimes. :eek:

I'll tell you what though, considering it was free and it came out in 2004 it does a heck of a lot, and it's really easy on resources - modern PCs hardly notice it's there at all. My main music PC isn't all that modern...

Cubase 5 is meant be very good. For ages I've been wanting an excuse to buy something that comes with a free Cubase LE4.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
ableton/reason q - there's no pattern sequencer in Ableton for drums, hence I use Redrum to make all the drums, and then move the notes round in midi whilst putting the audio thru Live.

However, the drum sounds I have in Live are generally better than those in Reason. Is there any way that I can use those sounds within the Reason pattern sequencer. I guess I could record them as wav files and then import into Redrum, but that's quite a long process- is there any easier way?

Aera Aleph

Drag Me Away
it depends - if the drums you like / use in ableton are samples, you could just right click --> "show in browser" or "show in explorer" so you can locate the original sample on your harddrive. now you should be able to import it into redrum.

if you are using synthesized drums you would have to render them to wav.

btw. this is a great resource for quality drumsounds: http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/
some of them are free, but esp. tape 808 / 909 are really good.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
goldbaby are a really solid sample company. the free packs they made for fxpansion's guru are pretty much my go-to drums atm, acoustic or electronic. their samples of classic drum machines are by far the fattest i've heard. i'm quite tempted by the sp1200 pack they recently brought out.