Fish Tank

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
saw this today. i thought it was brilliant - too many good qualities to list.

i thought at crucial points it shied away from being melodramatic or conclusive....like the scene where Mia gets hit by Conor after kidanpping his kid - it could so easily have turned into a big shouting match, but the fact that Mia didn't even get to say what she felt, or anything at all...felt much more true to the lack of 'closure' in real life. I also liked the way Conor wasn't obviously villainised despite what he did, and his presence remained very ambivalent overall.

looking earlier up the thread, i thought the 'life's a bitch' scene was great - sort of underlined the similarity between daughter and mother in visual terms, and a note of family tenderness inamongst all the shit.

(and, small point, i liked the way she got to say "it's Nas", rather than just "it's hip-hop" or something. Most films refuse to get specific about people's love for particular art, which always seems so unreal to me. I so enjoyed hearing some of those songs on the big screen..especially Wiley!)

and yeah, the mother was pretty hot. so was her boyfriend. And Andrea Arnold does some of the best sex scenes i've seen on film (the one in Red Road is mesmerising).

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
It should indeed, or even bolshie. I wouldn't mention it, but I know what a stickler you are ;)

She was better than the girls in the playground. It's not that she was great, but her dancing was the one thing she seemed to have some small confidence in herself. Most of all, it was her release - alone with her bottle in that empty flat, away from her nightmare mum.

I thought it was unbelievably bleak -

Late to this, but wasn't one of the problems that she always danced by herself, so never got any better? The you tube vids she watched were of crews, who were all friends, and would spur each other on. Whereas she drank cider and danced alone in an abandoned flat, cos she had no friends, cos she was so anti social.

In fact,the whole film begins with her having to apologise to her friend for being a bitch. Or was it a slag? So she finds it hard to make friends, and, as a result, she will never be a great dancer.

Last edited: