Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful temples in London (or anywhere really)

the interior of Sikh temples is quite nice - or at least it was at the one Sikh temple I've been to, the Gurdwara Sahib in Fremont, CA, an East Bay suburb which is about 50% Asian, mostly Indian/Sikh/Afghan.

a good Sikh mate once invited me to services, really interesting, kind of a come & go as you please thing. everyone sat on the floor & listened to dudes talking in Punjabi over a PA (I had no idea what they were talking about tho presumably something religious). then some dudes came & played tablas & a woman sang. you sat there for as long as you wanted & then when you were done praying/meditating/etc you'd go over and eat in this room with all these pictures of dudes who died in the Sikh independence struggle on the walls (bit like going to an IRA pub in Belfast, I guess). everyone was really nice, talking to me about Guru this & that. (that mate, btw, is married to a Latin woman, which is like the classic South Bay mix - their son's name is, if I remember right, Jorge Harjit Singh)

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Apparently this is the biggest Sikh temple in Europe (well, that's what it says on the website although it directly contradicts what Scott said earlier on so who knows? Not me). Has some nice features but not the delicacy and intricacy of the Hindu one that lead me to start the thread. In fact it somehow looks like a combination of two architectures with the (almost) featureless and imposingly straight walls reminiscent of Senate House or something but the overall effect softened by the domes and colours on top.

The Birmingham temple was the biggest untill the Southall one was build.

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    the interior of Sikh temples is quite nice - or at least it was at the one Sikh temple I've been to, the Gurdwara Sahib in Fremont, CA, an East Bay suburb which is about 50% Asian, mostly Indian/Sikh/Afghan.

a good Sikh mate once invited me to services, really interesting, kind of a come & go as you please thing. everyone sat on the floor & listened to dudes talking in Punjabi over a PA (I had no idea what they were talking about tho presumably something religious). then some dudes came & played tablas & a woman sang. you sat there for as long as you wanted & then when you were done praying/meditating/etc you'd go over and eat in this room with all these pictures of dudes who died in the Sikh independence struggle on the walls (bit like going to an IRA pub in Belfast, I guess). everyone was really nice, talking to me about Guru this & that. (that mate, btw, is married to a Latin woman, which is like the classic South Bay mix - their son's name is, if I remember right, Jorge Harjit Singh)
    Try to go early when they are doing the waking the Holy Book (which is treated as a living 'thing') with bhajans early in the morning about 8.00. There's not usually many around at that time but the music is really worth a listening too. And then have some langer which is blessed vegetarian food which is served througout the day.

my next door neighbours went to that temple, im sure they still do but theyre not my next door neighbours anymore. they took me and it was good becasue they give you free food in there.

neasden that is. theres a funny temple squeezed in between some georgian terraced house on romford rd in forst gate but there are no pictures on interent so you just have to take my word for it. ornate but quite pokey. never been inside.

wow cheers Bang waking the Holy Book sounds amazing, and cheers for the Southall/Brum thing, i wasn't at all confident re my 'largest' shout, it was on the Wikipedia page for the Smethwick one without citations so...

again on a Padraig tip, once upon a time in the Windy City, was over the road from this place (really near the Montrose stop on the Brown Line El P in Ravenswood on the nw side)

never went inside, mind, and although pleasant from all sides, the most pleasure it ever gave me was watching the little boys dressed up in their finery playing calcio in the car-park, shouting at each other in Romanian

Arctic Cathedral, Tromsø

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    This building (Westminster Cathedral) always strikes me as rather strange looking

Well enough known of course but seems strangely hidden away for such a huge building. Suddenly appears when you're wandering around the back of Victoria - which isn't something I make a habit of too often.
    Yes! One of my favourite things in London is precisely that it's so hidden. A genuine Rome moment (ie wandering round a corner to see something unexpected and incredible) in central London.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdisco View Post
    wow cheers Bang waking the Holy Book sounds amazing, and cheers for the Southall/Brum thing, i wasn't at all confident re my 'largest' shout, it was on the Wikipedia page for the Smethwick one without citations so...
    Something to do with the last Guru (of 10) saying that all the teachings you need are now in the Holy Book and then the Holy Book became a Guru (meaning teacher) in itself, more info here . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guru_Granth_Sahib

The Great Mosque, Djenné, Mali. The largest adobe building on earth.

BTW, Westminster Cathedral, as well as that nice layered cake thing has a nice Sam Smiths pub, the Cardinal, right behind, with a fine, handsome interior and sub £2 pints.

Try to go early when they are doing the waking the Holy Book (which is treated as a living 'thing') with bhajans early in the morning about 8.00.
    One of my friends married a Sikh girl and every time he went to rehearse the wedding they gave him the runaround using this as an excuse "sorry, can't rehearse today, the book is still sleeping". Service was good fun, though as several have said it obviously went right over my head, you just have to watch everyone else and stand up or sit down when they do really. Food was great of course.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdisco View Post
    The Great Mosque, Djenné, Mali. The largest adobe building on earth.
    Nah, I heard it's photoshopped...
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

That old Hindu place in South Norwood is reasonably impressive

And I was left absolutely slackjawed when I found this in Clitterhouse Park near Brent Cross

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    That old Hindu place in South Norwood is reasonably impressive

wow, thats in norwood you say? might have to go check that out!

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    And I was left absolutely slackjawed when I found this in Clitterhouse Park near Brent Cross

yeah this one's OK too. i stumbled across it the other month after getting royally ripped off for a set of candelabra in the John Lewis.

Never Knowingly Undersold - yeah right!