Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Beautiful temples in London (or anywhere really)

Also, the (Mormon) London England Temple - which is a bit of a cheat 'cause it seems to be in Surrey.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/london/gallery/

Well, however many years later I finally made it down to the Swaminarayan Mandir that started this thread. It's amazing inside too as Andrei said - millions of ornate carvings and guys lying down on their face. One chap doing a chanted prayer for a visitor, was very powerful when he was speaking foreign but when he went into English and it was all stuff like "make this man get a promotion at work" it detracted from it slightly.
    Apparently they shipped almost five thousand tons of marble to India, got it carved there by more than a thousand master carvers and then shipped it back here and built it "like a jigsaw" to use their phrase. Amazing.
    I think I'll check out the Jain one too although maybe it will take me years to get round to that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Went to this place in Wimbledon yesterday, pretty fucking cool I thought. Weird how it's just tucked away in a back street amongst loads of posh gated houses. Very peaceful with no-one speaking and all the ducks in the pond asleep.

Was wondering if I would see this here, I used to study Thai here when I was 9-12, we would pray with the monks in the main temple for 2 hours every Sunday morning and I even enjoyed dinner with the monks in the house when I was even younger.

It's a great place to stroll around on a quiet Sunday, the lake and forest are beautiful.

No one mention the Whitechapel Mosque? It isn't the most noteworthy of religious architecture tbh. You can hear the prayers along the Whitechapel high road though. If you listen during a hot summers evening, whilst looking east, it gives everything an eerie apocalyptic feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Local Authority View Post
    If you listen during a hot summers evening, whilst looking east, it gives everything an eerie apocalyptic feeling.
    You been reading Melanie Phillips?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

And yeah, it's pretty ugly, at least from the outside. Mate of mine got chased down the street by some guys leaving the mosque one Ramadam, pepped up on testosterone and God.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    You been reading Melanie Phillips?
    never read a book in my life mate

From today's Featured Article, Wikipedia. (not in London, sadly)