Beautiful temples in London (or anywhere really)

scottdisco

rip this joint please
wow cheers Bang waking the Holy Book sounds amazing, and cheers for the Southall/Brum thing, i wasn't at all confident re my 'largest' shout, it was on the Wikipedia page for the Smethwick one without citations so...

again on a Padraig tip, once upon a time in the Windy City, was over the road from this place (really near the Montrose stop on the Brown Line El P in Ravenswood on the nw side)

2447867790_5a89a97040.jpg

never went inside, mind, and although pleasant from all sides, the most pleasure it ever gave me was watching the little boys dressed up in their finery playing calcio in the car-park, shouting at each other in Romanian :)

Arctic_Cathedral.jpg

Arctic Cathedral, Tromsø

arctic_cathedral.jpg

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
This building (Westminster Cathedral) always strikes me as rather strange looking

westminster.jpg

Well enough known of course but seems strangely hidden away for such a huge building. Suddenly appears when you're wandering around the back of Victoria - which isn't something I make a habit of too often.

Yes! One of my favourite things in London is precisely that it's so hidden. A genuine Rome moment (ie wandering round a corner to see something unexpected and incredible) in central London.

Client Eastwood

wow cheers Bang waking the Holy Book sounds amazing, and cheers for the Southall/Brum thing, i wasn't at all confident re my 'largest' shout, it was on the Wikipedia page for the Smethwick one without citations so...

Something to do with the last Guru (of 10) saying that all the teachings you need are now in the Holy Book and then the Holy Book became a Guru (meaning teacher) in itself, more info here . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guru_Granth_Sahib

scottdisco

rip this joint please
The Great Mosque, Djenné, Mali. The largest adobe building on earth.

flickr-2988964373-image.jpg

BTW, Westminster Cathedral, as well as that nice layered cake thing :D has a nice Sam Smiths pub, the Cardinal, right behind, with a fine, handsome interior and sub £2 pints.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Try to go early when they are doing the waking the Holy Book (which is treated as a living 'thing') with bhajans early in the morning about 8.00.
One of my friends married a Sikh girl and every time he went to rehearse the wedding they gave him the runaround using this as an excuse "sorry, can't rehearse today, the book is still sleeping". Service was good fun, though as several have said it obviously went right over my head, you just have to watch everyone else and stand up or sit down when they do really. Food was great of course.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
And I was left absolutely slackjawed when I found this in Clitterhouse Park near Brent Cross

bali.jpg

yeah this one's OK too. i stumbled across it the other month after getting royally ripped off for a set of candelabra in the John Lewis.

Never Knowingly Undersold - yeah right!

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
more Chicago in re: Eastern European cathedrals

(none of them are particularly gorgeous individually, but collectively, I dunno, they got this character about them...)

the Poles

St. Stanislaus Kostka, somewhere off the Kennedy
lg-kostka-a-3a.jpg

the Ukrainians (in, of course, Ukrainian Village)

St. Volodmyr & Olha
Li-archi-UV-018b.jpg

there's loads of them really, there's a whole mess of Polish cathedrals off the Kennedy Expressway

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Gettin' back to da old skool:

OK, a few obvious choices first...

Abu Simbel, Egypt:

AbuSimbelTempleCloseup.jpg

Pyramid of the Sun, Teotihuacan, Mexico:

pyramid-sun-cc-suviko.jpg

Angkor Wat, Cambodia:

AngkorWat630-9974.jpg

Plus a few closer to home...

Castlerigg, Cumbria:

ClearingstormCastleriggStoneCircle.jpg

Stenness, Orkney:

a066275.jpg

*who knew druids were so good at Photoshop? ;)

Edit - Brucey bonus: Sedlec Ossuary, Czech Republic

sedlec.jpg

sedlec-ossuary-chandelier.jpg

Czech-Republic-Kutna+Hora-Sedlec-Ossuary-Chapel-Bone-Church101_9138-Web.jpg

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
sorry Rich!
Only joking, pictures are still good.

"Sorry, I'm being a cheeky monkey. It's Borobudur in Java, massive Buddhist temple.
And the one from Clitterhouse Park is actually in Lake Bratan, Bali."
I'm pretty sure he knew that really.
Good stuff from all. Enjoy your take especially Padraig 'cause of the local knowledge.