Iceland

matt b

Indexing all opinion
The 'golden triangle'- gullfoss (waterfall), geysir (self-explanatory), thingvillir (world's oldest parliament, sits on mid atlantic ridge)- is doable in a day by bus trip.

Public baths- every town has a geothermally heated public baths, mainly outside. Icelanders love 'em. Better than the blue lagoon, though that too is good.

Natural hot springs/pools- if you can find them (often require some local knowledge).

Husavik- end of the world fishing village. go and see whales. excellent. fly there- you get wicked views of the interior.

Reykjavik- good for a weekend. fine galleries, cathedral, cafes, bars (friday night mayhem), flea market.

Lots of other sites, but can be tricky/expensive to get too- glaciers, black lava sand beaches, lake myvatn- mainly nature based.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Cheers - I was reading about Hofn yesterday, in fact.

Isn't Baugur the company of the guy who used to run West Ham United?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The 'golden triangle'- gullfoss (waterfall), geysir (self-explanatory), thingvillir (world's oldest parliament, sits on mid atlantic ridge)- is doable in a day by bus trip.

Public baths- every town has a geothermally heated public baths, mainly outside. Icelanders love 'em. Better than the blue lagoon, though that too is good.

Husavik- end of the world fishing village. go and see whales. excellent. fly there- you get wicked views of the interior.

Reykjavik- good for a weekend. fine galleries, cathedral, cafes, bars (friday night mayhem), flea market.

Wow, is all I can say. Gonna be based outta Reykjavik, but a few day trips will be in order. Apparently can visit blue lagoon ont he way from the airport?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Wow, is all I can say. Gonna be based outta Reykjavik, but a few day trips will be in order. Apparently can visit blue lagoon ont he way from the airport?

Yeah you can, no problem- bus times take this into account.

How long are you there for?

Last time we were there the two biggest issues were cost (less of an issue now, I think) and time- buses are not regular.

Organised trips are pretty good- minibuses with enthusiastic local. If the Kroner is still very weak, they should be very reasonable. As will internal flights (which were often cheaper than scheduled buses).

re: Hofn photos- much of Iceland looks like that- there is only one road round the Island!

Good English language website (what's ons, news etc): http://www.grapevine.is/Home/

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Went for 10 days in 92 (but have not been back). Reykjavik, flight to Akureyri, bus inland to Myvatn, out to Akureyri again and then bus around the West Coast for some more of Reykjavik. Fishing trout, swimming, drinking, hiking and watching Denmark win Euro92.

The tourist triangle thing is a must (standing between the tectonic plates - yay).
Local beer was crap (Eigils I think) as beer was banned for decades (bizarre).

Nice trip, would do it again, but probably trek out to the East Coast.

Here's Myvatn.

Myvatn.jpg

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Finally got there - did the Golden Triangle yesterday, Gullfoss spectacular.

Amazing baths we went to afterwards. Four hot pools at 38, 40, 42 and 44 degrees. Will get to the 44 when I go back at the weekend! Amazing flume ride too, all for about 3 quid.

Can't get to Husavik and Akureyri, cos too expensive, but going to the Snaeffelnes (sp?) peninsula tomorrow, for some proper nature action.

Of other places, I hear Vik is good for puffins in summer, and the Westfjords sound amazing.

Natural hot springs/pools- if you can find them (often require some local knowledge).

Lots of other sites, but can be tricky/expensive to get too- glaciers, black lava sand beaches, lake myvatn- mainly nature based.

sufi

lala
Vik is good for puffins in summer,
delicious all year round apparently,
i had an epic lesbian druidic wedding weekend at thringsvellir, didnt manage to find any puffin or whale to eat, but did enjoy some tasty guillemot

is it any cheaper these days?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Finally got there - did the Golden Triangle yesterday, Gullfoss spectacular.

Amazing baths we went to afterwards. Four hot pools at 38, 40, 42 and 44 degrees. Will get to the 44 when I go back at the weekend! Amazing flume ride too, all for about 3 quid.

Can't get to Husavik and Akureyri, cos too expensive, but going to the Snaeffelnes (sp?) peninsula tomorrow, for some proper nature action.

Of other places, I hear Vik is good for puffins in summer, and the Westfjords sound amazing.

Wicked. Make the most of the public baths- you'll miss them when you return home.

I assume Iceland is still relatively expensive then?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Iceland still fucking expensive - really has cleaned me out. Drinking out is comparable to London, but everyone drinks so much more (hard to believe, I know)...

Public baths are the only real bargain. 3 quid for Laugardalur, which has hot pots and a flume!

Sufi - Thingsvellir weekend sounds amazing - more detail please.... Can´t believe you ate puffin though :( ;)

Can recommend Snaefellsnes a million times over - virtually no tourists this time of year, spellbindingly beautiful and diverse....Iceland in microcosm according to the LP, and for once they´re spot on.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not to upset anyone, cos I´d say the same about the British...but Icelandic people are largely dicks, aren´t they? :eek:

Witnessed some pretty horrible behaviour last night, striaght out of Lukas Moodysson...obv he´s Swedish, but his take on Scandinavia is pretty uncanny...

Leo

just booked flights there for late june. first time visiting, staying a week. anyone have updates on suggestions?

we were planning to rent a car, think we need it or is mass transit good enough?

thanks.