dune exhibition - moebius / jodoworsky

zhao

there are no accidents
i would go see this. it would have been better than what Lynch did for sure. Mobius and Jawdorowski nerds: did you like the Incal?

I had very low expectations for this exhibition, but popped along cause it was a good excuse to write a piece about Jodorowsky (which I did here: http://tinyurl.com/jod-dune ).

In the end, though, I thought the new work was actually brilliant for the most part, way better than I'd anticipated. Vidya Gastaldon's series of drawings is superb, and so is Matthew Day Jackson's scultpure (or model - not really sure what you'd class it as) of a golden skeleton and set of mutating skulls. The best you could say about the other two artists' work is that it doesn't take up much room, but there you go.

When it comes to the original Jodo/Dune work, the Foss prints in particular look fantastic - internet and magazine reproductions don't do the colours justice. If you were after a thorough showcase for the Dune project you'd be disappointed, but then the exhibition has never been pitched as that.

It's pretty small, but free too - a welcome shot of colour on a Sunday afternoon, for me.

luka

just reading an interview with a neo nazi (not sure why exactly) and came across this quote

One of the things that I most like about the neo-reactionaries is that they’ve learned a lesson that I learned years ago. For years, the most influential book on me was Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead, the most influential piece of fiction, but that changed, and eventually I realized that the piece of fiction that’s had the most influence on my thinking is Frank Herbert’s Dune.

The thing that fascinates me with Dune is its combination of futurism with archaic values and social forms which is basically what Guillaume Faye talks about in his book Archeofuturism as the way forward. We need to reinfuse modernity with certain things that are treated as archaic, and that means identity politics, an aristocratic ethos, a warrior ethos, and things that have been bred out of us by consumerism and bourgeois modernity.

So, Herbert basically applied himself to this question: what social form is consistent with mankind ascending to the stars and colonizing the galaxy? And it was very obvious to him that that was not consistent with democratic politics which has a very low time horizon. It requires grand politics, grand visions, a grand strategy stretching forward over generations, and we had that briefly under the pressure of the Cold War and because Kennedy was a visionary, but politics as usual took over. Space exploration has faltered, “because democracy.”

What you would need to reignite that is some kind of society like we had pre-modernity where we had aristocracies that thought in dynastic terms, where you had orders like the Catholic Church that thought in very long terms over time and perpetuated themselves over time.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The young bin Laden was a big sci-fi nut and there's an interesting hypothesis that he was influenced by Dyne, which makes total sense given what the book is about. It also kind of fits with the alt-right/neo-reaction movement being a sort of Jungian shadow to Islamic fundamentalism and jihadi violence.

There's a new film adaptation coming out later this year (or is meant to), which I'm pretty excited about.

luka

There was the rumour that Al-Qaeda was a name he took from Asimovs Foundation books. yeah yeah everyone knows that already I know I know

sadmanbarty

bin laden very much had former-dissensian vibes. zhoah-esque anti-westernism. joseph k nerd insurgent. loved sci fi and islam. familiar with the writings of noam chomsky. he would have fit right in.

catalog

Has anyone here read atta, the book by jarett kobek on semiotexte, where he imagines himself as mohammad atta, the ‘leader’ of the pilots in 911.

Theres a very funny scene where they all go to bin ladens compound in pakistan for a debrief and hes well into playing basketball and they all have a game.

Atta himself is quite interesting, he was an architecture student amd wrote a dissertation all about how good old islamic architecture is. Its been locked down you cant read it.

luka

The Tleilaxu are described as short, dwarf-like characters with gray skin, hair and eyes, elfin features and pointy teeth. Tleilaxu Masters control their creations by forcing them into a hypnotic state with some predefined, implanted sound (often a specific humming or whistling noise)” (DMT?)

Tlielaxu are also immortal, have trouble reproducing conventionally, and are experts at cloning. They have a slave class of servants called “face-dancers” who they use to infiltrate and impersonate important personages, replacing key power positions with their pawns. Tlielaxu are the inventors of axolotl tanks, which are used for cloning mélange spice and people. The growth of mélange spice in tanks, implies something about the spice which we could also intimate from the life cycle of the worm: The spice is a mushroom.

https://wheretimeturnsintospace.blogspot.com

image.jpg

Last edited: